Obsolete review by Fear Factory

• Released: Jul 17, 1998
Fear Factory: Obsolete

There are a lot of Korn influenced tracks on this album, such as "Edgecrusher" and "Resurrection." alothough not being a bad thing, fear factory on this album, bring the nu-metal sound into whole new dimension. With the catchy Edgecrusher, it's a very heavy song, with the scratching and industrial beats, and synth background, it brings Fear Factory into nu realm. Although there is only one or 2 nu-metal type songs on this album the album shows alot of what demanufacture brought us. "Shock!!" is a big example of this as is "Securitron" and "Shmasher/Devourer." These songs also show Burton's wide vocal range, ranging from raw, aggresive, dry-lung vocal, to the soft, soothing, amplifying, melodies of his actually singing voice. The drumlines are sick! Raymond's drumming on this album shows why he is one of the best drummers in metal, and rock. I play guitar, and I love the sound of Dino's heavy, pummling, down-tuned guitar. the thrashy sound and way he picks the guitar from the palm muting tremolo picking, combined with great catchy riffs like edgecrusher and descent and the epic "Resurrection." The opening track "Shock!!" really does it for me on guitar sounds.

The lyrics in this album are all based on the story that comes with inside the with the lyrics itself. The lyrics show deep thinking about the world, the government, rebellion, escapism and although Burton stating that they arent political or he didn't mean for them to be political, there are alot of political relations to these lyrics. "Freedom Or Fire," "Edgecrusher." The "Securitron" lyrics are about the internet and other things in general, saying that there is alot of confinment and that privacy is very much under control. "Edgecrusher" is a rebel song, "Shock" is also a rebel song, Shmasher/Devour is about the evils of media, TV, the internet. Descent is a very depressing song, I think Burton revealed that it was about a time in his life where he felt like nothing, because all he did was cheat, lie on other people, and he was in a situation were he felt like nothing. There are a lot of hidden meanings behind these songs though. But there is of course a story in the lyrics.

This album was actually their best selling album, reching top 40 Billiboard chart. I love the versitile sound on the album, the fact that there is a change from heavy to melodic parts. The most melodic bein "Timelessness" which also showed off Burton's wide range of vocals. Really great singing in that song. Overall I love this album it is the best album that fear factory has brought out. I think it has defined Fear Factory.

f1sk
    overall not a bad album but not their best however two of my favorite songs from them are on this album descent adn ressurection