The Industrialist review by Fear Factory

• Released: Jun 5, 2012
Fear Factory: The Industrialist

Two years ago, the mighty Fear Factory released "Mechanize", their first album with long-time guitarist Dino Cazares back at the helm in 9 years. It was exciting for us all for Dino and Burton to finally be reunited. But when we found out that the follow up, "The Industrialist", would be a full-on concept album, I'm sure every last FF fan was blown away. Up to today, we have been salivating, waiting for the next offering from the masters. And at long-last, it is finally here for us. The sound of the album is very crisp and clean, which is a little bit of a turn off actually. But not enough to make it bad. It's just a little to crisp. But overall Rhys Fulber did a hell of a job helping to bring this album to life. As for the overall sound of FF, it's what you've come to expect from them: the machine gun-style 7/8-string guitar riffs, spine-compressing drums and the resonating, violent warcries of Burton C. Bell. One thing I was hoping for was more soloing from Dino. After "Fear Campaign", I just want more, more, more. But that's okay; I didn't expect it to be something that would run on with their albums to come. The only other big disappointment of this album was that the last two tracks are instrumental/ambient. I was hoping for a longer album this ground, but instead it ended up being shorter.

The lyrics, again, are what you would expect of Fear Factory. They're based on a concept that I don't fully understand and I don't think was fully explored on this album. With "Obsolete", I was sucked in and couldn't skip over a single song. But with this album, the concept almost seems a little, dare I say... Forced? Don't get me wrong the lyrics Burt wrote this time are of as superb a quality as ever. I truly love the chorus of "Recharger" the most: "Open your scars and the sky opens wide/See a new world in your eyes/Believe in yourself and you will survive/Live out the life you designed". And Burton may be better than ever at this point. The only song that just didn't deliver for me vocally or lyrically was "Disassemble". Bada-s 8-string assault, but the chorus just kills me, how it sounds and the lyrics. Probably the first FF song I've heard that I didn't like.

Overall this is a solid record for any Fear Factory or just metal fan out there. If you're looking for your first Fear Factory album though, go for "Demanufacture" or "Obsolete". Or hell, even "Archetype". To me, the stand out songs are "The Industrialist", "Recharger", "New Messiah", "Difference Engine", and "God Eater". Another thing I love about Fear Factory is you're never going to see crappy or dumb song titles. But I just wish that the album had been longer like "Archetype", or had some longer songs, maybe. But overall (and I haven't bought it yet, but I just know that I will), I would buy this again. For sure. All hail Fear Factory.

Slashiepie
    herpaderp22
    Yeah the end of the album is pretty much an 11 minute outro that, but all the actual songs (1-8) are all great.
    osiris12
    I see where you're coming from dude, but I just couldn't get into the last 3 songs. I just wanted more really. But hey opinions are opinions for a reason
    osiris12
    I was just hoping for an epic closer, like Final Exit, Resurrection or Human Shields
    Engel22
    This, along with Mechanize, is the best that FF has done since the dawn of the millenium. This is basically going back to Demanufacture/Obsolete territory, borrowing the straightforward musical approaches from the former with the concept-based layout like the latter. It might not be their greatest, but I'll take this all day long rather than have another Digimortal. And the limited boxset is a fantastic way to present this latest output.
    KarmasEnemy
    Slashiepie wrote: i cant resist the urge to buy an 8th string , i have nightmares about it! i desire it every waking moment! and its Dinos fault (ok Toni Abasin is also to blame)
    Tosin Abasi* If you mean the dude from AAL.
    SamMetalGuitar
    imo this is their best work, i listened to it yesterday, there isn't one song i don't like from it.
    hriday_hazarika
    That's a disappointment? Lol.
    EpiExplorer
    Soundservant
    EpiExplorer wrote: Saw this in HMV yesterday, very tempting. Mechanize is the best work they've done thus far, so this could top it. I hope there's another song like Final Exit..
    If you liked Mechanize you should like this (as I did).
    EpiExplorer
    So far, only on Recharger, but I'm liking where its going, better than track 1, I thought.