Echo Park review by Feeder

• Released: Apr 23, 2001
Feeder: Echo Park

Echo Park sees the band develop on the sound they obtained in previous album 'Yesterday Went Too Soon'. They use well the quiet loud dynamic of grunge and alt metal as well as having songs that are more modern rock and indie. The guitar sound here is often clearer than on previous attempts, particularly on songs like 'Buck Rogers' and 'Turn'. Feeder are a special band in that they use all these different musical genres in their songs so it's hard to give the album an overall genre apart from Alternative Rock. Suitable for anyone who likes bands as different as Nirvana and Manic Street Preachers.

Grant Nicholas isn't exactly the world's greatest lyricist. The lyrics on 'Buck Rogers' are awful and 'Seven Days In The Sun' isn't much better on the lyrical front either. So the overall impression on the lyrics is pretty average but they're pretty well matched with the alternative rock style of the music and although poor the lyrics on 'Buck Rogers' are never forgotten once heard which is one of the things Feeder have on their side. Nicholas has an often curious singing voice as well which enhance the lyrics in some cases. His voice is often placed through distortion, perhaps to hide some of his worst lyrical attempts!

01. Standing On The Edge - unusual song with a very quiet verse after a broodingly loud verse. 02. Buck Rogers - it may be very mainstream but it's the best indie rock has to offer and you never forget it once heard. 03. Piece By Piece - an unusual song after the last two but one of Feeder's best. It's slightly weird and wouldn't sound out of place on YWTS. 04. Seven Days In The Sun - another instantly memorable Feeder classic. Humourous but not at the expense of being a good song. 05. We Can't Rewind - a fan fave but you feel it's missing something to make it a classic song. 06. Turn - a very indie song that some seem to love but it never really progresses. I still like it though. 07. Choke - a pretty average song with some poor shouty lyrics. The album wouldn't be any worse without it. 08. Oxygen - a mid tempo song that relaxes things somewhat but another personal favourite. 09. Tell All Your Friends - awful lyrics but a memorable chorus. Not much to shout about. 10. Under The Weather - the best out of the shouty songs on the album. 11. Satellite News - another Feeder fan favourite. Just feel it never really goes anywhere having meandered along pleasantly for 5 and a half minutes. Could be a bit more memorable. 12. Bug - another average song. If this album were lost I'd buy it again. I love it because it's the album that really got me into Feeder and for that I will always be grateful.

Thom Yorke
    I don't see how Buck Rogers is any more mainstream than 'Feeling A Moment' or 'Just The Way I'm Feeling'
    Hungry_Hameds
    this is a great album, i give it 9/10. John Lee shows on choke what an awesome drummer he was on the last album he did.