Generation Freakshow review by Feeder

• Released: Apr 23, 2012
Feeder: Generation Freakshow

After Feeder's attempt at going back to their older sound went pear-shaped, they decided to do an album of compromise. This album is made up of harder Feeder and softer Feeder, and as fans will know this band can do both brilliant. They have here. "Oh My" is a brilliant opener and sets the pace for the rest of the album. "Children Of The Sun" is a fitting closer too, and if you are into the heavier stuff, Headstrong is the song for you. Every track on here is strong - "Tiny Minds" is a leftover from Renegades and probably better than every track on their previous album. "Fools Can't Sleep" is probably the weakest track on the album, it doesn't captivate you as much as the rest do.

Grant's lyrics have always been the subject of criticism, but I for one find the lyrics on this particular album excellent. "Borders" tells a wonderful story of a girl named Jessie who wants to get out of the life she's in and see more. The lyrics always comply with the music too, softer songs have softer lyrics, not lyrics about violence (which Feeder almost never sing about anyway). His singing skills are just as good as ever, although to me it sounds very slightly weaker on "Headstrong" (possibly because he has become so used to the softer stuff).

As much as I liked "Silent Cry" and "Renegades" (I did in fact enjoy it) this is definitely a step up. Though not quite hitting the heights of "Comfort In Sound", "Polythene" etc., this is definitely worth a listen. "Generation Freakshow" is undoubtedly Feeder's best album since "Pushing The Senses", possibly even their best since "Comfort In Sound". If you're a Feeder fan who has been put off by the loudness of "Renegades" and has feared they may never recover, pick up "Generation Freakshow". Faith shall be restored.