Polythene review by Feeder

• Released: Oct 18, 1997
Feeder: Polythene

Polythene was the Feeder's first proper album, and turned rock into something diffrent in thier own way. A lot of Polythene is made up of sleaze rock and post grunge, which gives it a very dark mood indeed. The album has such songs like Feeder classics such as "High", "Descend" and "My Perfect Day", and still these songs are live favourites for the band even today. There are darker songs such as "Radiation" and "Tangerine" and softer melodies like "Suffocate" and "Change". Even though the sound on this album is a little older, and Feeder themselves are somewhat diffrent musically than other bands, Polythene is a great album and has a good variety of songs. *There are two diffrent versions of Polythene, an older one with a song called "Waterfall", but later on they re-released Polythene with the Smash Hit "High" and removed "Waterfall".

It's hard to comment on Grant Nicholas' lyrics in this early attmpt. Some of he's lyrics in Polythene are plain odd. Like Tangerine; "I Know it's sad, life's just a peace of fruit" but some lyrics are just brilliant like High; "I'm going out for a while, so I can get high with my friends" and Change; "The more I see the more it hurts, the more we change, it all seems worse." They definitely make up for the good songs.

Compared to some of Feeder's other albums you might say that this one isn't very good at all. But you should be wrong, this is a great attempt for a first album, and very underrated. The best songs are no doubt the three songs I mentioned ealier (High, Descend and My Perfect Day) but of course there are Fan Favourites such as "Cement" and "Stereo World". I'd say if you wanted to get into Feeder start with this album. Although if you liked thier later album "Comfort In Sound" a lot, then you might not like "Polythene", unless you're a massive fan like me.