Polythene review by Feeder

• Released: Oct 18, 1997
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Feeder: Polythene

The original release of acclaimed album 'Polythene' from welsh rockers Feeder is a Little known one, usually found on ebay as it has been out of print for some time now. It was the first album they released after EP "Swim", and Featured 12 Tracks, unlike the re-released versions 13. This version of the CD Omits the classic fan favourite "High" and replaces the mellow "change" with the grungey "Waterfall". Soundwise, the bass is a little less proficient than Swim was, and grants vocals have improved over the year between the recordings. In a nutshell, Grant and the guys were aiming for a Smashing Pumpkins sound, and get pretty close (even subtly ripping off "today" in "Radiation").

Lyrics? Hmmm, generic shouty teenage angst lyrics. Little meaning behind the songs, but grant sings them well, and the only song that really lets me down is "Tangerine", with it's rather. Different lyrics. It does have it's shouty moments though, with a few catchy choruses.

As a companion to Swim, it seems like a pretty good step forward for the band, with a few tracks heading for a mellow side, while also keeping a heavy edge to it. However, compared to later albums (including pop sensation "Echo Park") it is a pretty lacklustre album. only really impressive songs are "Descend" (which was on Swim), Waterfall, Suffocate, Crash and Forgive. If this album was stolen, I'd try to find another copy, I paid 13 for mine!

patch17
    I like this album. Tangerine is an ok song, but theres no need to say the the lyrics are shit, they could be worse. My fave songs are Polythene Girl, Cement and My Perfect Day