Silent Cry review by Feeder

• Released: Jun 16, 2008
Feeder: Silent Cry

Silent Cry brings Feeder's sound to new levels, and yet, there are also nostalgic references to their underestimated catalogue of efforts throughout the new installment. The band has taken the fragile melodies of their previous 2 records and given them that punchy, upbeat energy of their early work. Bouncy pop choruses found in "Tracing Lines" or "8:18" tip their muso hats to the late nineties era of the band's second full length, whereas the scuzzy grunge bridge of "Who's The Enemy?" is reminiscent of the recently post-Nirvana days of Feeder's earliest efforts such as "Swim". This overall sound gives a ranging appeal to both old and new fans of the band, and indeed may catch the ears of radio listeners alike.

The engine under the bonnet of Feeder's vehicle of creativity is frontman Grant Nicholas. Essentially, other than with their pop hits, Grant's lyrical output is difficult to decipher, hidden under emotional metaphor. This can be frustrating for the budding lyricist/fan, however on the new record Grant seems to have opened up. Having recently become a father, Grant has given a more positive edge to his choice of words on this outing. Bulldozing closer "Sonorous" features an uplifting chorus of "Don't give up, you have us, and we'll find a way", as well as the shift of both music and lyricism from minor to major in "Heads Held High", with the strength of Grant's voice climbing up as he reflects with "there's something; telling me that everything's alright". Being a shy vocalist, Grant continues to grow as both a performer and writer, displaying an exceptional vocal performance on the record coinciding with his increasing confidence with words.

Overall, this album sees Feeder take the best from both ends of their musical spectrum and put out arguably their best record to date. The band do what they do best on this album, make good guitar music. Whether you're a fan of acoustic, heartbreaking songs, or giant storms of distorted rock chords, this has it all. Buy it.

P@tGoD
    Probably my least favourite Feeder album so far. It's not really the songs in themselves I have a problem with because apart from a couple they are good, it's just that this is such a monotone album - there's less dynamics/variety compared to previous albums which results in a 'dirgey' sound when listening through it from start to finish. For example, listen to their B-sides compilation, Picture of Perfect Youth and you realise how varied the songwriting can be while retaining a consistent Feeder character. This album is, in my opinion, inferior in quality & cohesiveness compared to Comfort in Sound and Pushing The Senses, while also holding back from going far enough into the more aggressive side of Feeder that I also like to compete with Polythene and Swim. Maybe it will grown on me more but at the moment I'll give it a decent 6/10.