Yesterday Went Too Soon review by Feeder

• Released: Oct 19, 1999
Feeder: Yesterday Went Too Soon

Speak to any big Feeder fan and they'll tell you the same... "Yesterday Went Too Soon" is the best album. It's got the upbeat, pacy melodies that everyone loves about Feeder, then there's a selection of mellower, acoustic tracks. It's not as commercial as "Echo Park" or "Comfort In SOund", it was this album that began to bring them into the mainstream. Combining the Britpop sound (Oasis, Blur, etc) that was around at the time of Feeder's emerging with faster, more electrically-orientated tunes, Feeder manage to create an album that showcases pretty much every style of music they can play.

As always is the case with Feeder, the lyrics are good. They are the kind of lyrics that you can sing along to and make sense of at the same time. Grant Nicholas is one of the most underrated lyricists in modern rock. Hopefully, with their new-found fame, he will get more attention. He also has a great voice, and links this so well with the lyrics.

To me, this is probably Feeder's best overall album. Whilst not holding such tracks as "Buck Rogers" or "Just A Day", there are still some fans' favourites on here. For example "Hole In My Head", "Insomnia" and "Waiting For Changes", as well as the title track, which is an excellent slower song. It's definitely worth buying, particularly if you're a fan of Feeder. I love the way that you can put it down for so long and still remember the words when you stick it back in the CD player. It's a true modern classic, better than the last two Feeder albums and definitely one that I'd buy again if it were lost or stolen.