Eifur Review

Fejd: Eifur
Released: Oct 29, 2010
Genre: Neofolk, Folk Rock, Folk Metal
Label: Napalm Records
The unusual blend of musical backgrounds is what made this album interesting.
 8.1
 7.7
 8.5
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Eifur Reviewed by: esplorer, on november 01, 2012

Sound: This Swedish folk band that signed with Napalm Records, is a fusion from members of a folk/medieval band and members from a metal band, so their sound is an interesting mix of both genres. They have some demos and 2 albums: "Storm" from 2009 and the one I'm talking about "Eifur" from 2011. They use instruments like flutes, harps, some weird ones like hurdy-gurdies and mix them with fast metal style drum beats! So you can expect a lot of musical twirls and twists usual feature of folk music, but with a powerfull punch by Esko Salow in the drums. I find their sound very upbeat and catchy in the majority of the musics. And even the more slow and melancholic musics like "Arv" or "Ledung" have a nice uplifting twist in them, which was a good surprise for me. // 8

Lyrics: They sing in Swedish their mother tongue, but it really sounds good to me, even though I can't understand a word it! Patrik Rimmerfors, has a deep and strong voice but without being harsh, which I think suits perfectly in all the musics. The lyrics speak about paganism, northern mythology, their traditions and heritage. Had to search about this because like I said, I don't understand a word of Swedish. // 7

Overall Impression: Not being an outstanding album in the folk genre, I really enjoyed it and got me curious about what they will do next. The unusual blend of musical backgrounds is what made this album interesting for me, though I think it gets a bit predictable at some points. Best musics for me are: "Drangen Och Krakan" because it has big rhythmic changes specially in the drums, "Farsot" that has a really catchy chorus and "Alvas Halling", an instrumental music that has a nice Arabic feel to it. I advice this album to fans of folk music in general and of bands like Omnia, Moon And The Nightspirit or Faun.

// 8