Be Human review by Fightstar

• Released: Apr 20, 2009
Fightstar: Be Human

Over the past few years, the infamous post-hardcore/alternative rock band Fightstar, have battled with speculation of their sound, and the occasional poser comment, thrown mostly at lead singer and guitarist, Charlie Simpson, for his multiple year stint in the teen pop band "Busted". Yet, instead of retreating and hiding away, the 4 british blokes have fought, much like their name, and developed respect amongst their peers. On the latest record, "Be Human", they've managed to produce their most creative and diverse album to date, with powerful choirs and a 16-piece orchestra which sets the mood in many pieces, such as "War Machine" and the album opener, "Calling All stations". Yet, the Fightstar that fans have always known is by far still apparent, with the Rhythm section of Omar and Dan as solid as ever on tracks such as "The English Way".

The Two Vocalists of Fightstar, Charlie and Alex, are two men with completely opposite voices, which in turn sets for great harmonies and melodies. Charlie, the main lead vocalist, has a masculine voice which has been compared to that of Kurt Cobain', and a falsetto which could almost compare to that of muse singer, Matt Bellamy. Whereas Alex has a far higher voice, used excellently in the softer songs on the album. The album's lyrics (as commented by the band themselves) talks about issues of humanity, yet has a positive message to it, unlike previous albums "Grand Unification" and "One day son, this will all be yours". Excellent melodies can be heard on the tracks "War Machine" and "Follow me into the darkness".

Although some may say that this latest effort from fightstar is heading in the direction of the mainstream with tracks such as "Mercury Summer", "Never Change" and "Tonight we burn", it is clear, that the quartet are on the brink of a creative explosion. Although the originality hasn't shown itself completely yet, moments of it can be heard in tracks such as "Give me the sky" and "Follow me into the darkness". The group are exceptionally talented at their instruments, and have enabled an album that has the right balance of creativity and normality to it. Key tracks to the album are "Colours Bleed to red", "War Machine", "Follow me into the darkness", and "Mercury Summer".

RayToroIsAGod
    I thought it was very meh tbh, and I'm a huge fan. A lot of their b-sides from the first two albums were top notch.
    GoldSoundzUKNZ
    I wish it was available in New Zealand. I was a fan when I lived in the UK, but you can't get their stuff over here. Is is worth the 8 pounds plus 6 pounds postage from Amazon?
    Metallidan
    i love the album, and its use of the orchestra, i especially like 'War Machine'. I struggle to see how they are going to play most of this new album live as i am seeing them tonight (Y) its still a great album but i dont think it quite matches up agaist 'One day son' or 'Grand unification'
    spirit_master09
    I personally Enjoy the album very much they preveous work on one day son this will all be yours and grand unification are excellent but i like how they took a diffrent vibe for this album. the English Way, Murcury summer and Damocles take the cake for me some of my favorite tracks on the album and as soon as i get my copy of the cd its gunna be sweet. if only trustkill records ACUALLY got there other albums besides grand unification it would be SO much easier to get them instead of ebaying the shit out of everything
    lyonk55
    Fairly decent album. While I prefer the previous ones, this one definatly isn't bad. A bit mellower than I was expecting though...
    bassmaster454
    my favorite album so far and with all of them track 5 has been my favorite but on this one i can't have a favorite truly awsome
    11DJC11
    There are plenty of good songs on this album, although there's always one or two I don't like on all of their albums. Usually the slower ones, because they are just so much better at the heavier stuff. Chemical Blood is a pretty decent song, everyone seems to be neglecting it slightly =\ The main issue I have with this album is I think the Demo version of Colours Bleed (From the Mercury Summer CDS Single) is just so much better. I'd put this album at like... Number 2 behind their very first album, because I love all of their first songs and B sides.
    bowdowntomono
    They've definitely been developing their sound ever since the first album. Quite a lot of the songs on GU sounded similar, though it's still one of my favourite albums ever. I like the fact they're experimenting, but they're managing to not stray too far from their origins. I love orchestras.