Grand Unification review by Fightstar

• Released: Mar 16, 2006
Fightstar: Grand Unification

Wow! Just one word wow. I never thought that an ex-member of the infamous boy band Busted could produce a masterpiece of post hardcore. The sound is still the usual Fightstar, the grungy riffs, the fast, bulky choruses but there is something that makes it better than the EP. Possibly the studio influence but it seems like they now know how to write a real hardcore song.

Charlie Simpson unleashes a lot of aggression, emotion and sometimes even poetic lyrics into the album. He surprised a lot of people in that sence becasue of such infamous busted songs as "Crashed The Wedding" and "What I Go To School For." You just have to listen to the song "Paint Your Target" and realise that he has broken out the pop icon shell and into a post-hardcore legand. Also the screamo parts are very well done in "Grand Unification Part 2" and "Paint Your Target." surprising, I think so.

Overall I would recommend this album to anyone. People may be put off because of Charlie's past band but don't let that bother you. This is nothing like Busted! Thankfully. The best songs on the album are probably Hazy Eyes, Paint Your Target, Grand Unification Part 1 and Waste A Moment. So but the album and support a great band.

Biggs
    Saw these live...biggest surprise I've ever had. They were amazing. Just because of his past, this band really do not deserve to be overlooked. He was given a chance at a very young age to get rich and famous, and like any other 15 year old would, he took it. He quit Busted as they played Wembley to go and carry on with a band supporting bands at university venues and smaller. I give him as much credit as I can. Their music is great.
    pranav
    The album is gr8. I like busted too. THe band is not that bad!!
    schecter006
    duncang wrote: ^ Palanuiks Laughter was from the EP. Though so was Lost Like Tears In The Rain.... Actually, no idea. But it has plenty of great songs to make up for it.
    thats because it didnt tie in with the theme of the album. Plus it wasn't a single, it was just the lead track for the EP.
    edibledevilboy
    charlie didnt make as much as you'd think in busted. but yeah i agree with everyone who's commented giving them praise, i'm a huge fan and can't wait for their next album
    Rian46
    soapbar wrote: Charlie must have been making a fortune in busted and to give it all up and start again just because its what he really want to do, give him some credit.
    Defo! Fightstar Rawk! \,,\(>.
    soapbar
    Tease
    Grand Unification....its simply AMAZING! Charlie has changed from his crap Pop/Rock riffs, which he would play for in Busted, and created such amazing Hardcore Rock Riffs and outstanding Lyrics for Fightstar. The only way to make the Album even better is if they added Palanuik's Laughter. With a debut album like that just think what a second album could bring.
    Kaney
    yeh amazing album. i think they just wanted to put more tracks that people are unfamiliar with on the album.
    Mikesun
    i met charlie simpson on a tour round uppingham school before he was famous.... thats my claim to fame and im ashamed
    duncang
    ashdavies
    i brought the album the day it came out!!! it is amazing!, one question ? any one know why there debut single (palanuiks laughter) wasnt on the album?
    washingmachine
    This album is truely amazing! My only small critism is that it is a little to safe. Luckly Busted didnt make it to America, So if Fightstar makes it in the US, The sins of Busted will be forgotten. (although 'Who's David' was awefully catchy!)
    Kaney
    yeh defenatly amazing album and e.p and a great prospect for the future as long as people give them a chance.
    clazz
    Brilliant album, songs like Build An Army are absolutely amazing. It's good to see a lot of people are giving them a chance and not judging them so much any more.
    Dave_young
    just cos he made a SERIOUS mistake with busted doesnt mean u should judge this before u hear it. It's AWESOME!!!!!
    Felkara