One Day Son, This Will All Be Yours review by Fightstar

• Released: Sep 24, 2007
Fightstar: One Day Son, This Will All Be Yours

This album was a serious make or break point for Fightstar. With its exposure to the public stretching a few months now, it has become clear that they have come a long way. Their original sound has been carried through, and yet such diversity and variation from their original album is clear. '99' was released before the album, and I have to say, I was seriously disappointed, worrying about how Fightstar were gonna pull off an album better than 'Grand Unification' with songs like that. However, I was unburdened of doubt when I heard 'We Apologisee For Nothing'. What. A. Tune. The album as a whole is definitely catchier, and I would have to say that, although I'm not a big fan of screaming, 'Deathcar' is probably the best song. Charlie's raw husky vocals ring through, contrasting with the aggressive tone of the song as a whole, expressed immediately with a creepy intro as you hear a loud gasp as a face is lifted from water (shown on the DVD accompanying the album as Charlie Simpson). Also, production is tighter than the previous album, and this is saying something, as 'Grand Unification' was something special.

I've never been good at writing lyrics, and it seems that these days, neither are the mainstream bands, so Fightstar are surprisingly refreshing to listen to. The lyrics beautifully accompany the singing contrasts of Chaz and Al. Both of their's singing has undoubtedly improved, and the lyrical abilities of F* reflect this.

I would say that this album isn't quite on par with their last in terms of overall album quality (in all aspects), although their sound has got bigger without compromise. I regard F* as one of the (if not the) best bands in post-hardcore, and have a set a high standard from the beginning. You simply have to listen to this album! If this album were lost or stolen, I wouldn't hesistate in buying it again.