One Day Son, This Will All Be Yours review by Fightstar

• Released: Sep 24, 2007
Fightstar: One Day Son, This Will All Be Yours

Having only recently got into Fightstar, I've had the chance to compare their two albums at the same time. Fightstar are extremely good at making epic, emotional songs, with great sing-along choruses, as shown on their first album, Grand Unification. On this newer album, Fightstar have varied their musical formula from the standard which most of the songs on Grand Unification fitted into (with the exception of To Sleep, Mono and Grand Unification Part 2). They've gone much heavier (Deathcar), much softer (Our Last Common Ancestor, You & I, Unfamiliar Ceilings), a bit funkier (Amaze Us), a bit more mainstream (We Apologise For Nothing), and finally, they've incorporated the piano as a major instrument (Floods). Overall, although the variety of the songs is much wider, and might be a better selection for people who didn't like the old Fightstar style, in my opinion the songs aren't quite as memorable or as good as those on Grand Unification. This album is very very good compared to other artists, so deserves a 10, but not quite up to the standard of Grand Unification. To get an idea of what the album is like, listen to the singles (99, Deathcar, Floods, We Apologise For Nothing) and You & I, as this gives a rough idea of the whole album's sound.

The lyrics of Fightstar, which I assume are written by both Charlie Simpson and Alex Westaway, are quite similar to those of a lot of bands in that they sound meaningful, but don't actually have any clear meaning. On this album, it seems that the lyrics have become a bit more focused, with the lyrics of Floods about global warming, One Day Son being about the mess humans seem to have made of the world, and Deathcar being about Charlie's vengeful desires for his girlfriend's other man. The lyrics fit pretty well with the music, sounding suitably epic to go along with the music style. Because Fightstar have two vocalists who can also scream pretty well, they can do many things with their singing that set them apart from other bands. The interchange between the two vocalists is not quite as predominant as on the first album, but it makes the music more interesting to listen to, and adds extra vocal harmonies.

Fightstar have, in the space of a few weeks, become one of my favourite bands. Although their sophomore effort is not as good as their debut, there are very few other albums, in my opinion, that are superior to it. Instead of sounding generally post-hardcore, as Grand Unification did, One Day Son This Will All Be Yours introduces new elements to the music. The influence of Muse can be seen in Floods, Amaze Us's main riff sounds very Rage Against The Machine, and Deathcar sounds like God knows what. The most impressive songs from the album are 99, Floods, Deathcar, One Day Son and Amaze Us. What is good about this album is that the musical styles are more varied than in previous Fightstar works, and there are more soft songs, which Fightstar are fantastic at, though the downside to this is that the songs are not as catchy or as energetic in places as on Grand Unification. If it were lost/wiped off my computer, I would almost definitely buy it again, and get the physical version this time.