One Day Son, This Will All Be Yours review by Fightstar

• Released: Sep 24, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Fightstar: One Day Son, This Will All Be Yours

I will start with the simple fact that I didn't not enjoy listening to this album. it's of a high production quality, the overall composition is clever and enjoyable to listen to and they are clearly all very able individuals (and I would also like to take this as an oppertunity to commend frontman Charlie Simpson on how he has turned his career into this pure rockstar form for such an irretrevably pop start). it's just that as I listen to this album it's like I'm listening to a "best of compilation" of alternative and metal artists from the last ten years. "Floods" resounds with a definite "Muse" feel, "Death-car" being almost painfully screamo thrash, "Amaze-us", to be honest, IS RATM/AudioSlave. You can do this with virtually every track. So is this album good? Yes. Is this album interesting? Only beacuse you want to see how they've homaged their next favorite band. Is this album original? No way.

I always thought Charlie simpson had a good voice right from the Busted days. Though then he was much more "Sum 41" than the metal mans voice he has assumed for this band and developed across the albums so that in this one it's the best it's been yet. He looses some points for that young "Busted-esque" voice rearing it's innocent head from time to time, but such instances are forgivably rare. As for the lyrics they seem comfortable, knowing how to make lyrics fit a huge chorus and not loose interest the rest of the time. Pretty standard really, but they show good command of their art.

This is the best sounding, yet at the same time, least ejoyable Fightstar album. It's trying to be so many different things so, though it does each well, the fleeting moments of Fighstar originality ("99" Download it because tobe fair it is extremely good") are lost amoung the rest. Lets just hope that by their next album they've settled into what they now really want sound wise and produce us another album of the "They Liked You Better When You Were Dead" standard!

WARLOCK123
    i was expecting more screaming and that it would be heavier as they arn't on island records anymore. i was dissapointed when i first heard it but it grew on me. standout tracks are tannhusar gate, one day son, floods, deathcar, amaze us, 99 and hip