They Liked You Better When You Were Dead review by Fightstar

• Released: Feb 28, 2005
Fightstar: They Liked You Better When You Were Dead

Fightstar are extremely heavy considering Charlie used to be in Busted the pop act. This is almost a fusion of metal and pop with amazing guitar parts with awseome vocal melodies. There is a clear influnence from groups like Sonic Youth or Biffy Clyro. Charlie and Alexs voices are very good. The album was amde along side Charlies work with Busted and was put toegtehr of a serise of months but the quality of songs does not reflect this. I am disappointed to have heard that only one or two of the songs on the EP are making it onto the upcoming album. There are two tracks on one on the album because charlie by his Busted contract was only allowed to release a five track EP, so they sneaked a sixth at the end of track 5 called "Hazy Eyes."

The situation with the lyrics is that it is not always easy to tell what they are singing 'cause of the style the sing in. The lyrics that appear in the sleeve of the album however are very interesting lyrics and are highly ambiguous. When reading the lyrics I can't help but wonder whether they are just singing pointless lyrics but I feel that for many people they could have some meaning. My best example of this is in the song Amethyst "I froze with those plastic eyes cutting loose from upon this disguise" myself struggle to find meaning in this but think that other might. Depite this I feel the songs are still brilliant.

I do love this album. I went to see Fightstar in March just to try them out and bought the album on the net as soon as I got home. I even went to see them a second time in july. There is a great mix of songs from souring heavy riffs in "Speak Up" to quiet ballads like "Mono." "Palahnuik's Laughter" the single is great aswell. My favourite tracks on the album are "Amethyst" and "Hazy Eyes" but feel overall it is a fanatastic album, despite what you may think of Busted, Fightstar are an awesome band. Push all past issues aside an give them ago.