They Liked You Better When You Were Dead review by Fightstar

• Released: Feb 28, 2005
Fightstar: They Liked You Better When You Were Dead

This was the EP that made Charlie Simpson leave his life of luxury in pop rubbish Busted. So I was expecting this to be rubbish, as if they did not know what they were doing. I was wrong, it is heavy as hell, simple and elegant. The post hardcore unit have put together some unbeliveable material in this short EP.

This is basically their first attempt at lyrics. It dosen't sound like it. They sound like a group of seasoned veterans writing clever, beautiful and at times thought provoking lyrics. Also, the Lyrical trading on this is remarkable, the chemistry between Charlie Simpson and Alex Westway (might be east I don't know) is something to marvel at.

"Palahunik's Laughter" (don't ask me to say that) is the best track on this EP, it has a bit of everything and is the perfect introduction to what the band does best. Emotional Lyrics, lots of Distortion. "Lost Like Tears In The Rain" is a proper concert ender that leaves an inprint on the memory of any concert goer. It starts of quiet and gets progressivly louder. "Speak Up" is also quite a monster. Heavy, hard hitiing and simply quality. The vocal chemistry between the singers is paramount here. Overall This EP shows the band have the potenial to be truly great. I personally think Fightstar are better than Killswitch Engage, not because they are technicaly better, few bands are, it is because there is a rawness in their sound that is missng from most music today.

scrat-182
    i really like fightstar but thier album isnt out in the uk its really stupid! they have only released 2 or 3 singles out at the moment! that is just gay! iv heard that they dont like the british fans its probably just because of busted. but i dont care busted are cheesy and fightstar are not! any way good job on the reveiw even though i only know a few of thier songs.
    pats88
    i heard fightstar when they supported funeral for a friend down here in aussie land. they were real good! real heavy riffs and nice vocals too! ive been looking for the EP but i dont think its out here yet. i'll keep looking, great band.