They Liked You Better When You Were Dead [EP] Review

Fightstar: They Liked You Better When You Were Dead [EP]
Released: Feb 28, 2005
Genre: Alternative Metal, Post-Hardcore
Label: Sandwich Leg Records
Fightstar's debut chugs along like a mighty rock beast and proves there might be scope for a transition from teen pop idol to rock sensation.
 8.7
 8.3
 9.1
They Liked You Better When You Were Dead [EP] Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 06, 2005

Sound: Fightstar are extremely heavy considering Charlie used to be in Busted the pop act. This is almost a fusion of metal and pop with amazing guitar parts with awseome vocal melodies. There is a clear influnence from groups like Sonic Youth or Biffy Clyro. Charlie and Alexs voices are very good. The album was amde along side Charlies work with Busted and was put toegtehr of a serise of months but the quality of songs does not reflect this. I am disappointed to have heard that only one or two of the songs on the EP are making it onto the upcoming album. There are two tracks on one on the album because charlie by his Busted contract was only allowed to release a five track EP, so they sneaked a sixth at the end of track 5 called "Hazy Eyes." // 8

Lyrics: The situation with the lyrics is that it is not always easy to tell what they are singing 'cause of the style the sing in. The lyrics that appear in the sleeve of the album however are very interesting lyrics and are highly ambiguous. When reading the lyrics I can't help but wonder whether they are just singing pointless lyrics but I feel that for many people they could have some meaning. My best example of this is in the song Amethyst "I froze with those plastic eyes cutting loose from upon this disguise" myself struggle to find meaning in this but think that other might. Depite this I feel the songs are still brilliant. // 6

Overall Impression: I do love this album. I went to see Fightstar in March just to try them out and bought the album on the net as soon as I got home. I even went to see them a second time in july. There is a great mix of songs from souring heavy riffs in "Speak Up" to quiet ballads like "Mono." "Palahnuik's Laughter" the single is great aswell. My favourite tracks on the album are "Amethyst" and "Hazy Eyes" but feel overall it is a fanatastic album, despite what you may think of Busted, Fightstar are an awesome band. Push all past issues aside an give them ago. // 10

They Liked You Better When You Were Dead [EP] Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 04, 2005

Sound: Well I prefer Busted's riffs to this, but the only songs which resemble a good song are Palahnuiks Laughter and Lost Like Tears In Rain, sorry but he made a mistake leaving Busted. They sound like an Evanesence wannabe band! // 4

Lyrics: Nothing scream about, the lyrics to Lost Like Tears In Rain were ok but only the part where they say "We looked up... to lose our... way... again." Thats it really, Charlie Simpsons voice just belongs in Busted I'm sorry to say but, it just sounds like he is trying to be something he's not, but I could be wrong. // 4

Overall Impression: I no people will say if you don't like this band why buy the EP? Well I give any band a chance and was interested in hearing if he was right to leave Busted to work on this project, but turns out he has made a mistake because people are calling this band "a joke" and editors are refusing interviews with them. // 4

They Liked You Better When You Were Dead [EP] Reviewed by: Kaney, on april 07, 2005

Sound: I first heard one of the tracks on this EP "Pahlaniuks Laughter" on the radio. Its a brilliant song and I've gotta say I was pretty surprised to hear that it was Fightstar because I'd heard some bad things about them. But I decided id buy their EP to see what they were like and it's really impressive and not like what I expected them to be at all. They have a great sound and if you like great riffs and heavy catchy choruses you will love Fightstar. // 10

Lyrics: Charlies Simpsons time with Busted made him pretty well known for some pretty bad and embarresing lyrics the ones that spring to mind are "The Year 3000" and "What I Go To School For." But Fightstar's lyrics are alot maturer and deeper. There are some great lyrics in the songs the most heart felt lyrics are defenatly in "Pahlaniuks Laughter" and "Amathyst" where the second vocalist Alex Westway sings the versus brilliantly and Charlie Belts out the choruses. Both their voices are perfect for the songs and each song has fantastic choruses. // 10

Overall Impression: Fightstar even though a bit controversial because of Charlie Simpsons past are a really impressive band. They have a great EP and if any ones not sure about them I'd say i'ts defenatly worth getting if your an emo or rock fan. But if your a busted fan your gonna have to get over it and realise Charlie Simpson milked busted for all the money he could then left to do some proper music. Not a Single weak track on this EP and a I reckon many fans of emo and rock music will be pleasantly surprised when they hear this EP. // 10

They Liked You Better When You Were Dead [EP] Reviewed by: METSOAD, on april 18, 2006

Sound: This was the EP that made Charlie Simpson leave his life of luxury in pop rubbish Busted. So I was expecting this to be rubbish, as if they did not know what they were doing. I was wrong, it is heavy as hell, simple and elegant. The post hardcore unit have put together some unbeliveable material in this short EP. // 10

Lyrics: This is basically their first attempt at lyrics. It dosen't sound like it. They sound like a group of seasoned veterans writing clever, beautiful and at times thought provoking lyrics. Also, the Lyrical trading on this is remarkable, the chemistry between Charlie Simpson and Alex Westway (might be east I don't know) is something to marvel at. // 10

Overall Impression: "Palahunik's Laughter" (don't ask me to say that) is the best track on this EP, it has a bit of everything and is the perfect introduction to what the band does best. Emotional Lyrics, lots of Distortion. "Lost Like Tears In The Rain" is a proper concert ender that leaves an inprint on the memory of any concert goer. It starts of quiet and gets progressivly louder. "Speak Up" is also quite a monster. Heavy, hard hitiing and simply quality. The vocal chemistry between the singers is paramount here. Overall This EP shows the band have the potenial to be truly great. I personally think Fightstar are better than Killswitch Engage, not because they are technicaly better, few bands are, it is because there is a rawness in their sound that is missng from most music today. // 10

They Liked You Better When You Were Dead [EP] Reviewed by: Robodude, on march 10, 2005

Sound: Fightstars debut album 'They Liked You Better When You Were Dead,' is surprisingly unique and should impress even the most critical music lovers. Despite some bad press and of course, Charlie's past, this album is quite different from other emo bands and the sounds obtained from the different instruments are outstandingly well put together and fit perfectly from verse to chorus etc. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics of the songs are well structured and they seem to me to be heartfelt. The singing is brilliant and the higher notes reached by the backing singer really compliment the frontman on all the tracks. The compliance of the lyrics and the music is completely natural, which is the sign of a great band in the making! // 10

Overall Impression: For a debut album, this is a strong masterpiece. I hope that the band are not underrated because of the fact Charlie was in another band, because these guys are one offs. The most kick ass song I have to say is Palahniuks laughter. The riffs, the lyrics, the drum solos, the sheer brilliance! I strongly advise getting this album, and it is definitely for fans of funeral for a friend and emo lovers! // 10

Comments