The Amalgamut Review

Filter: The Amalgamut
Released: Jul 30, 2002
Label: Warner Bros.
Genre: Rock
Styles: Industrial, Alternative Pop/Rock, Post-Grunge, Industrial Metal, Alternative Metal, Heavy Metal
The Amalgamut ultimately is a sophisticated and intelligent pop-metal hybrid.
 8.5
 8.7
 8.2
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
The Amalgamut Reviewed by: A Modern Myth, on september 09, 2005

Sound: Raise your hands if you've heard of Filter. Obviously some of you have, otherwise there wouldn't be tabs on here. And I'll try and stop the funny stuff. On to the review, dear friends, onwards! Where do we begin with Filter? For those who have Title Of Record, The Amalgamut is a darker, heavier sound, which occasionally takes off into lighter songs. This is probably due to the fact that Richard Patrick, lead singer/dude who does half the stuff in Filter along with Geno Lenardo, Rico's mother nearly died whilst in production of this album. He also quit drinking after doing this album, which also had an effect. As usual, Filter expand into new horizons, going for the darker atmosphere as I've mentioned before. This becomes especially apparent in track 3, Where Do We Go From Here? and track 4, Columind, both of which contain haunting lyrics and dark guitar riffs. Columind especially is one of the darkest songs on the album. The 4th, the last track on the album, has some of the most awesome sound-scapes known to mankind. But it's not all good. So I Quit is easily the weakest song on the album (it's also the typical rant song), and You Walk Away starts off weakly as well, I thought. But it could just be me. But overall, the sounds are awesome as always. // 8

Lyrics: The singing is mostly the same, throughout the CD, i.e. good. Rico tries out a few different styles on a few songs, such as You Walk Away, and American cliche, but mostly sticks with the same style of singing as in Title Of Record. The lyrics fit well, and are appropriate, considering what was happening at the time, i.e. 9/11 (See The Missing, as it seems to be written partially around that). The 4th was probably the weakest vocal track, as it has the most annoying singing/vocalisation in the background, which really distracts you sometimes from appreciating the music. Some of the songs do contain messages for everyone, depending on how you choose to interpret them, which some may enjoy. I certainly did, and hopefully you should too. // 8

Overall Impression: Compared to Title Of Record, it's darker, but just as good. It sounds somewhat similar to a few other artists, and some songs I feel could have been tightened up a bit, but, hey, that's just me. I love the epic soundscapes that Filter produce with every album, and this one refines them, and adds to them. Definitely worth buying. So why don't you own a copy? // 10

Comments