The Sun Comes Out Tonight review by Filter

• Released: Jun 4, 2013
Filter: The Sun Comes Out Tonight

Industrial rock band Filter are making their return to 2013 with their first studio album in three years, "The Sun Comes Out Tonight." Since their debut album release back in 1995, Filter have been at the front of the American industrial metal scene, with their signature sound comprised of crunching distorted guitars, pulsating bass beats and most similar to the musical direction of Linkin Park and the most recent outing from Fall Out Boy. Their now five studio albums have spawned a string of moderate radio hits and singles, such as "Hey Man, Nice Shot" and "Where Do We Go From Here." With their new studio album, Filter do exactly what they do best; industrial metal, but with a more modernized and heavier sound. The album is jump started with the rhythmic mechanical beats of "We Hate It When You Want It," which showcases all of the factors that comprise Filter's earlier works, and features a powerful yet at the same time uncreative chorus. "Yeah/ Sit yourself down / sit yourself down, motherf--ker." From there out, "The Sun Comes Out Tonight" proves to be a proud collection of prototypical Filter-sounding songs, only with a significantly heavier sound, the only exception being the unusually quiet acoustic rocker "Surprise," which seems to be intentionally written for radio airtime. Whether it's the fluctuating "What Do You Say," the raging chorus chanter "Self-Inflicted," or the aforementioned "We Hate It When You Want It," it's another decent album from Filter. As much as I would have liked to see them move out of their comfort zone and embrace some new territory and sounds, they still give a consistently good job with this new album that any fan will be able to appreciate.

Lead vocalist Richard Patrick is a musician that is heavily experienced when it comes to the music scene. Besides fronting Filter, Richard is a founding member for the supergroup Army Of Anyone, which features members of Stone Temple Pilots and David Lee Roth's solo band. Not only that, but he has also served as a touring guitarist for Nine Inch Nails. All of this experience and time spent in the industry carries out into his performance. Vocally he does great on this new album, his vocal range is so broad that it allows him to hit the highest screams to the lowest talk-singing notes. This helps drive the musical aspect of "The Sun Comes Out Tonight" a little above some of the recent outings from other industrial metal bands on the scene.

All in all, "The Sun Comes Out Tonight" is a consistently thrilling album from industrial metal band Filter. The album itself is a proud collection of songs that stay true to the group's earlier outings while rarely straying off into expansive territory, which should please established Filter fans. If you're a follower of the industrial metal genre, but are not familiar with this band, then "The Sun Comes Out Tonight" would be a great introduction to their catalogue.

YouTube preview picture
YouTube preview picture

FlyingPirahna
    It's only alright. I wish they'd take more chances and evolve their sound a little, because this album is just bland.
    katalyzt13
    Honestly, I was pretty disappointed with this album. I'm not sure what people are getting out of it. It doesn't really even sound like an industrial album to me... Heavy guitar riff + quieter bass, percussion passages + breathy vocals does not equal good music.
    gateway01
    Been waiting for a while. I like it a lot, although I agree this is the last time they can really dish out the same kind of material. Next album should have some kind of new and innovative aspect to it that we all know Filter for.
    jazznstuff1001
    At best, this is a good record. Their last release, "The Trouble with Angels" was a surprisingly strong late-career release from Richard Patrick and the band. This album feels like an invocation of 1995's "Short Bus" without the influence of any of the band's other works. There are solid cuts, but the album is alright at best.
    LightxGrenade
    Haven't listened to filter in so long but I gave this album a chance and I'm pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it.