The Trouble With Angels review by Filter

• Released: Aug 17, 2010
Filter: The Trouble With Angels

After 2008's politically charged 'Anthems for the Damned', Filter's intense frontman Richard Patrick promised a return to the more hard-edged, angst-ridden darkness of their finest works 'Short Bus' and 'Title of Record'. And indeed, '...Angels' is a real revelation, Patrick's jet engine growl fiercely screeching as the bass is pummeled over some furious drum beats. However, pleasingly, Filter always know not to be too heavy, and the shards of melody that bounce between the isolated bass lines give the album a vaguely Deftones - 'Diamond Eyes' quality.

Lyrically, Patrick is admirably the equivalent of a method actor - dark moments from his past are remembered in the form of song, and perhaps these memories give him the power to sing with such vehement rage and simmering anger. '...Angels' throws the baby out with the bathwater lyrically, especially on the album's finest track, 'Catch A Falling Knife', where Patrick states 'I have spent my life in here / in your home, but my hell.' And 'Mom and Dad, what happened? / I woke up and you were missing.' Suburban frustrations and dark family matters have frequently cropped up in Patrick's work, but the beauty is the ambigious nature of the songs, as they leave enough guesswork to provide multiple meanings. 'Absentee Father', 'No Love' and the title track could all be to do with dark relationships or perhaps a higher power, but Patrick's gift is to let the listener in on the record, and let them read the interpretation. When he's at his most direct, though, on the gob-smacking '...Knife', it's almost beautiful.

Fans of Filter will be not be disappointed, as the three strong openers - '...Relapse', 'Drug Boy' and 'Absentee Father' - all hark back to the heady days of 'Hey Man Nice Shot', particularly '...Relapse's' isolated bassline and diamond hard riffwork. It's also evident Patrick couldn't have made a record as powerful as this back in 2008, as he simply wasn't this confident. His bullishness shines through the emotionally draining lyrics, the fiery guitars and the pounding drums. The band have stretched themselves to make an album that not only smacks in the face, it gives your neck a good throttling.

EpiExplorer
    DaysoftheBlue wrote: *Listen to album because of review* *First song, fifteen seconds in* *Auto-Tune* *Turn off song*
    Its just the intro dude, you ****ing missed out.
    Deflection
    Filter is awesome. Heard a few songs, sounds pretty good. Nothing absolutely mindblowing, but not in any way disappointing. Waiting for the album to hit Spotify, maybe I'll put up a review.
    Leather Sleeves
    Holy sh*t, for a second I thought that guy was Brent Spiner, seriously, go back to the home page, he looks just like Data from Star Trek.
    LightxGrenade
    They're signed to Nuclear Blast!? Wtf? I always like Filter, but I haven't listened to them in ages. Guess I'll youtube this and see if it's worth the buy
    sambargun
    Robert has been the only brain behind Filter for a long time now. Its been more like his solo project. Will give this one a listen. And please dont say they are influenced by the Deftones. No offence meant to the Deftones, but Filter were way more adventurous and creative than the Deftones could ever hope for.
    DaysoftheBlue
    DimeForever
    Y'know, I just bought "Short Bus" last week, (15 ****ing years late, someone shoot me) and I must say, it was pretty awesome. Since you never hear anything except, "Hey man, Nice Shot", it was so cool to actually hear the entire thing and appreciate the other songs. I loved it. I'd buy this one without hearing any songs on it prior to. Filter kicks ass!
    The Contagen
    Andragon
    What's with this A7X shi tty comparison and "power-tripped?" Filter is a huge influence on blending trip/electronic/industrial with only a few (solid) albums under their belt. A little respect is due, Joshua Khan.
    jsspang
    "The Trouble With Angels, How To Destroy Angels? What is it with the NIN camp and disliking angels?" This d-bag played guitar for NIN back in their beginning days.... then he comes out with "take a picture????" He knew that would be a failure and had to ride someone's coat tails
    Nor'Easterbass
    ABR Is Ear Rape
    Nor'Easterbass wrote: eff the first review for bashing Richard Patrick like that. I think he's a good singer. not "great" but definitely solid and i've always thought his vocals accompanied the songs well.
    Agreed, and let me be the first to say that this album kicked my ass, I thouroughly enjoyed it and thought it was a nice step back into their old sound, 9.5/10