The Trouble With Angels review by Filter

• Released: Aug 17, 2010
Filter: The Trouble With Angels

First off, Filter's two previous releases, The Amalgamut and Anthems For The Damned were a little less than what I'd expect after Title of Record. So, I was a little less pumped for their newest release, The Trouble With Angels. Now, I call upon myself as guilty of underestimating something. Filter have come back to dominate their prevoius releases with vigor and life that hasn't been seen since Short Bus and Title of Record. But yet, this record sounds nothing like the previous releases. It's something completely on its own, and in my opinion, is how a record should be made. Going back to your roots is just another way of saying, "I'm only good at making one type of music." which is a sad truth for some artists. But Filter throws the middle finger to that statement.

The lyrics seem a little more forced and easier to understand on this record. There isn't that much of a feeling of mystery in the lyrics. Especially in the song, "The Inevitable Relapse" the lyrics tend to just...propel themselves forward with immediate translation. Which isn't a bad thing, it gives the feeling of relation a little more welcome. But, on the other hand, it kind of kills the fun in decoding lyrics themselves. Richard Patricks singing is just as familiar as it was 15 years ago on Short Bus, so I have nothing to complain about that aspect. But, sometimes, I wish he'd ditch the Chris Cornell screams, and instead, try some real gutteral and more vicious growls and chants. This would probably give more presence and co-operation with the music itself.

Like I said before, this album isn't anything like Filter's previous releases. More or less, this album kicks all that is ass. And yet, at the same time, demands that you give it a chance to listen to. This is a definite recommendation for all fans of Industrial, Hard Rock, and Metal.

coco-axeman
    DaysoftheBlue wrote: *Listen to album because of review* *First song, fifteen seconds in* *Auto-Tune* You're missing out!!!! *Turn off song*