Title Of Record Review

artist: Filter date: 02/02/2004 category: compact discs
Filter: Title Of Record
Released: Aug 24, 1999
Genre: Rock
Styles: Industrial, Alternative Pop/Rock, Heavy Metal, Post-Grunge, Industrial Metal
 9.7
 9.3
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Title Of Record Reviewed by: rashalo, on february 02, 2004

Sound: This album has to be one of my favourite albums of all time. The way this album has been produced is excellent. Half of the album is metal (don't run away yet, let me finish), but the style in which it's played sounds so nice. The chords are usually open or played in an emotive way (think of the chords in the verse of everlong by the foo fighters). The drumming is some of the best I've ever heard, with syncopated rhythms and double bass. There is also a synthesized electronic sound to some of the beats and effects which fits in perfectly to the music. Just listen to the first track : Sand/welcome to the fold to hear an epic song of ambience/metal/acoustic sounds. the other half of the album (my favourite part) is very mellow and acoustic, which is emotional and thought provoking. So it is this contrast between heavy and soft which I find so great. // 10

Lyrics: Richard Patrick (brother of the liquid metal terminator in T2, you betcha!) has an outstanding contrast in voice. It ranges from rough and powerful in the heavy tracks to a high, mellow sound in the acoustic tracks. Though he has the capacity to sing well and it's listenable, it's not outstanding (eg, brandon boyd), but still good enough. His lyrics' range are, like the music, thought provoking, a lot of them being emotionally based (the song - Take a picture, for example). Though it's more the idea of what the songs are based on that's so appealing, such as the track, 'cancer' which looks at a decimated world using the lyrics 'I am a cancer, I'm the scum of the earth' several times before changing to 'I am humanity'. All in all, the lyrics are very good. // 10

Overall Impression: What I like so much about the album is that it is one of those albums that sticks out in your mind because it is so powerful (my choices being Make yourself - Incubus, Pinkerton - Weezer, etc.). It has the perfect combination of metal, mellow and is backed by an electronic sound (when I say this, I don't mean 80's cheese, I'm talking about ambience and the occasional drum'n'bass style drumming). Favourite songs on the album have to be welcome to the fold, the best things in life, take a picture, captain bligh. if it were stolen, I'd probably cry and then start a huge federal investigation, or possibly just buy it again. It Is very worth buying, I can't put more of an emphasis on that. If you do buy it, you won't be disappointed. I give it the biggest thumbs up in the world. // 10

Comments