He Poos Clouds review by Final Fantasy

• Released: Jun 13, 2006
Final Fantasy: He Poos Clouds

Final Fantasy, the side project of The Arcade Fire violinist Owen Pallett, has a sound unique to himself. I suppose it could be classed as Alternative Classical, or some such similar genre, but really it defies classification. 'He Poos Clouds' differs from his debut 'Has A Good Home' in that it is a far more complete album; that is to say, it functions as a complete album, not a selection of songs. Most reviews will bring up Owen's stated aims for the album, or his nerdy D&D references, but I intend to concentrate on the music. 'He Poos Clouds' is a symphony of rising strings and vocals with a definite rough undercurrent. The album's opener, The Arctic Circle, begins with stabbing strings which almost blend and disintegrate into a sweet melodic flow of sound. The juxtaposition of these styles is just one example of his musical ability; he also brings in the piano for perhaps the most easily accessible song on the album for a Final Fantasy newcomer, This Lamb Sells Condos. I could go through every song and point out what it is I love about each one, but it really does adhere to the clich: you have to hear it for yourself.

Wierd, clever, obscure. Owen's lyrics draw on various topics including a semi-real obsession with Link from the Zelda series in the title track, or a damning inditement of the Toronto real estate developer Brad J. Lamb in This Lamb Sells Condos. Sung with some skill and variation (again on This Lamb, a female voice choir lay down a background to the bridge, whilst Owen whispers the voices of a gossiping neighbourhood and mimics a bickering married couple over the top 'Contentment, what's contentment?/I am bald and impotent/Is that what it's about?/Oh honey, honey, shut your mouth'). The lyrics and the music match perfectly, and, despite his protestations to the contrary, Owen's voice is ideal for his work.

For me, this is easily one of the best albums ever. That said, it is something that will divide listeners. For many, indeed most, it is either too weird, or the lack of the well-made band is just too radical for them; but for those of us who can listen and love, 'He Poos Clouds', and all of Owen's music, is something indefinably special. Best songs on the album? The Arctic Circle, This Lamb Sells Condos, He Poos Clouds and Many Lives 49MP. The worst? None, I honestly believe there is not a weak song on the album. In summary, you must listen to it, and try it out. Give it a couple of chances and don't dismiss it straight off. I hope you will adore it as I do, but if not, I can understand why.

Jenky
    even if it is biased, it comes across as though you really believe in this album if nothing else. ill give it a go! :-D
    FunKRawK
    TuFuiEgoEris
    FunKRawK wrote: i have no respect for a band if they're going to call and album that, unless they're weird al yankovich, that guy can do what he likes
    That would have to be the most close-minded comments about music I have ever heard. Music isn't about nomenclature and shouldn't be about image. Music should inspire feelings and thoughts that are new, rekindle desire forgotten and push the limits of perception to points unseen before. The title of an album is sometimes the only thing a person will see before the discount it's value and put it back on the shelf, and to those people they are the one's that miss out. They are the people who didn't buy Sgt Peppers, they are the people who couldn't understand Berlin and the same who didn't see the humour behind white trash two heebs and a bean. Philistines!
    Goldenelite
    I agree with Funkrawk here. The name of the album is weird, so i don't wanna listen to the writer, because he discriminates by only writing to people with open-minds... _
    Indie Purist
    I disagree with the both of you, who cares what the name of the disc is? Don't judge an album by it's title