Say Hello To Sunshine review by Finch

• Released: Jun 7, 2005
Finch: Say Hello To Sunshine

This album is really different to 'WITTB', for me that album had a kind of metal shine to all the songs, a kind of high polished digitized sound. Which was fine, this album though feels much more rough, alternative and gritty. The drumming (new drummer) is very different with there being no double bass pedal, where as on the last album there was loads. Everything here is unpredictable and raw, the guitar playing really loose (choppy rhythms) and crazy (bizzare leads). So it's not quite as 'catchy' when its first heard, I found as I listened to it over and over it improves greatly.

The lyrics are moody and dark, on the opening track Nate crys 'Oh my god I think I'm blind' and then later screams 'This is the worst thing that you have ever done'. All good stuff really, highly original in places and great to hear. Nate's singing is also very different. On the last album I found Nate would just sing in his 'normal' voice then Scream loudly. On Say Hello To Sunshine he makes much more of an effort. He still screams and sings, but he mixes the two much more effectively. He growls, barks and howls through some songs. Sometimes sounding simular to the way the Corey from Slipknot would sing on their new album, although not quite as intense. A great example would be 'Ink', one of the best songs on the album.

For me this is way better than the last album. The first seven or eight tracks are awesome. I really enjoyed them, more hardcore alt. punk than metal. With better guitar playing (I play myself so it was great for me to hear). Some of the songs towards the end aren't as good, they just fail to excite in the ways the opening tracks do. I can imagine alot of Finch fans not liking this one, because it is so different. I was really reminded of Refused 'the Shape Of Punk To Come' when listening to this album. Closing comments would be that this album is f--king great, just not like there last one.