What It Is To Burn review by Finch

• Released: Mar 12, 2002
Finch: What It Is To Burn

A very alternative album, with emo inbetween. It is one of the most collaboartive albums I know. Amazing sound, I fell in love with this. I honestly say that this (obviously subjectively) is one of the greatest albums of all time. You think, "what and idiot, this kid is a teenie bopper thats never heard led zeppelin or stevie ray vaughn or hendrix or anything." Yes, they are amazing, and have amazing talent, but finch combines talent with good sounds. You won't be ashamed to like this band, I guarentee. Five members: vocalist, 2 guitarists, bassist, drummer. Randy's use of harmonics and added licks are insane. Their rhythm guitarist has really original and amazing chord progressions, and their drummer isnt your average punk drummer; he knows exactly what to do where, and he has so much talent.

Yes, often you might oberve the unsophisticated poppy lyrics such as that of "Letters to you" or "Stay with me" (made up for in bridge), but this is clearly compensated in songs as awake with verses like "The air is clearing, again we're breathing, water turns to wine. The day is tired; the night's inside her, now she is alive". "Ender" may be one of the most suitable songs for this topic. "You said you like to hear the rain sometimes." doesn't sound it, but very poetic. I can't stress enough how much these lyrics were meant to be with the music. Definitely amazing. Nate Barcalow is unoppossibly the best screamer i know... it has more passion than some metallist. Listen to the song "worms of the earth" and youll hear... he has a lot of natural talent, live and in the studio.

their first lp, which surprises me even more.only two dissappointment song for me: three simple words and without you here... not to their fullest potential... my favorite songs are (not respectively): Awake, New beginnings, Ender, Post Script, Grey Matter, Project Mayhem, Untitled. I wouldn't have to worry about this question about it being lost or stolen cus I'd never let anything happen to it. its definitely worth buying, and I think randy and nate make awesome writers. The bassist gets the job done; does mostly roots but with a lot of stuff in between. Not a lot of effects with these guys (that can't be done on their instruments live). Really kids, an awesome band. You must listen to them.