Life Turns Electric review by Finger Eleven

• Released: Oct 5, 2010
Finger Eleven: Life Turns Electric

Finger Eleven's latest album, "Life Turns Electric", came out in October 2010. Despite it being released many months ago, there has not been much talk about it. While one might think after their hit single from their previous album, "Paralyzer", Finger Eleven had big things coming their way on "Life Turns Electric", but things did not turn out that way. The biggest difference I notice between "Life Turns Electric" and their previous album "Them Vs. You Vs. Me" is a lack of funk and raw energy. It seems that has been traded for solid hard rock that sticks to what you would expect. As the band gets older, they appear to have matured similarly to what we have seen most recently with Incubus, although not as dramaticly, and 3 Doors Down. The opening track, "Any Moment Now", starts off with catchy hooks which continues throughout the entire album. By the time you get to the 5th track, Good Intentions, you may be sick of this straightforward formula. The next song, Stone Soul, is very pop-like but stands out against the post-grungy feel that the rest of the album has. It is very difficult to pick out the best tracks because many of them are so similar. It basically comes down to which lyics speak to you more. My personal favorites are "Whatever Doesn't Kill Me" and "Stone Soul". The last four songs of the album are undeniably a struggle to listen to. Although they seem to be running out of ideas, I cannot say there is a "bad" song.

Scott Anderson knows what teenagers want as he says, "I want to feel confident somehow, I want to feel bulletproof ride now." Despite this, you feel as though he has learned his lesson as you listen through this album. He knows that in order to do something right, you have to do it yourself as he churns out "the pieces fit because I push them through." You can tell his has tested his values over the years especially in the song "Whatever Doesn't Kill Me". "Stone Soul" has very catchy lyrics and are my favorite on the album. The lyrics on "Life Turns Electric" should appeal to teenagers and adults alike without breaking any boundaries or going out of his comfort zone.

You cannot help but wish Finger Eleven still had that vibe they had ten years ago. The lack of a standout single to match "Paralyzer" is also disappointing. You cannot get angry at Finger Eleven for sticking to what they do best but you certainly do not want to buy this CD if you are looking for something new in a sea of middle aged mini Pearl Jams. Still, Finger Eleven have managed to churn out a decent album that die hard fans appreciate. If you love catchy, repetitive, post-grunge hard rock than Finger Eleven do not disappoint. You just need to find a reason to pick this one out of the bunch.

Bennington_Hahn
    I hate to say it, but i agree with you entirely. I can't but feel too that F11 might be holding back a bit. Following on from "them vs you vs me" I get the feeling Life turns electric is missing something. The lack of Raw energy and funk you mentioned is very evident in this album. It a great listen, but not as brilliant as their previous 4 albums. I loved TvYvM, And I know that album wasn't universally praised but, it had a great style and sound, that was slightly out of the bands comport zone - and ironically it was huge hit for them. Paralyzer made them household names. But on this album, is almost like a "devolution". Hardly no promotion or anything compared to the previous. And as I live in the UK this album might as well not exist. Its a shame, their such a talented band. But anyway, Fantastic review! I heard F11 will be back in the studio again soon and hopefully the next album will return them to form. and Hopefully be a more experimental one at that.