Them Vs. You Vs. Me review by Finger Eleven

• Released: Mar 6, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Finger Eleven: Them Vs. You Vs. Me

Good or bad, Finger Eleven is an extremely radio-friendly band that has found a comfortable niche in the world of FM airplay. With an equal blend of accessible ballads and danceable rock songs, the band's 5th studio release Them Vs. You Vs. Me is a respectable offering for the most part. For fans of bands that bring a bit more of an edge to their music, however, Finger Eleven will likely leave them a bit disappointed.

This is not to say there aren't more than a few catchy singles on the latest release from Finger Eleven (vocalist Scott Anderson, guitarists James Black and Rick Jackett, bassist Sean Anderson, and drummer Rich Beddoe). The first track Paralyzer has that same groove-oriented, funky feel that you get in Franz Ferdinand's Take Me Out. It's a solid song that emphasizes the band's talent as a whole, but some may feel it resembles Franz Ferdinand's single a little too closely. It's primarily due to the intro and the song quickly gains it's own identity. With all it's familiarity, it still is a very infectious track.

Even with the band setting the stage with the energetic opener Paralyzer, the ballads still take up a big chunk of the playlist. While it's respectable of the band to showcase it's sentimental side and there are a few moving moments in the ballads, it is the faster-tempo songs that are a bit more memorable. Change The World is a ballad that begins with a restrained piano line and restrained acoustic, but eventually builds up to feature percussion and what sounds like a whole string section. While it is cool that Finger Eleven slowly builds layers with each section, the base songwriting is just not that unique.

There are quite a few cool, funky riffs throughout the record, and those really do help draw you into the faster songs. The last track Easy Life combines both the funky and softer side of the band, making it a standout track. It actually gets progressively slower (until the big finale, that is) and has a haunting, higher-pitched guitar line being played over the quieter vocals. This technique, along with what an added slide guitar at the end, gives the song a whole different feel than the other tracks and does show the band is thinking outside the box.

Finger Eleven's lyrics vary wildly, with the ballads often bearing the best and the worst. On a song like Change The World, there does seem to be a cheesy element to it all. Anderson sings, I just want the best for you, girl; But I don't think I really know what that means; I know you bring out the best of me. Now, the content definitely has a sweet sentiment that could touch some listeners, but the majority will probably feel that it's just a bit too predictable.

Window Song features some interesting imagery and demonstrates that the band has more to offer than a few other songs might indicate. Anderson sings, All the windows are playing their game; Where I won't see outside again; Till I write all the fog away. It's nice to hear lyrics that go beyond just the usual emotional content, and Window Song is a good example of how the band is able to take a ballad and make it more than just a sappy love song.

There are quite a few ballads on the record that just don't have the originality that the faster tracks, and that's really where the band falls short. There will be those who probably like emotionally driven songs like Change The World, but those tracks still don't make a huge impression musically.

Finger Eleven has already established a strong fan base and made it's way into the public eye just fine (the band's self-titled record made it to #4 on the Top Canadian Albums chart and various singles have been featured in movies), but it's hard to say if the band will be capable of breaking free from being just a singles band. The band shows it's best on Paralyzer, but they do have a few tracks like Sense Of A Spark and Easy Life that have unique tempos and indicate there is a lot of talent present in the quintet.

bassbeat77
    I hated the whole thing... which really sucks cause they were one of my favorite bands... I'm glad I saw them live before this thing came out.
    jen3113
    i was really dissapointed with this album i expected it to be pretty good since their previous album was great and i liked their new song parlyzer. Its really too bad because i was looking foward to buying it but im definitly not anymore.
    leavmealone13
    I saw finger 11 and chevelle and evanescence two nights ago, i really only went for chevelle. My opinion is actually that finger 11 is much better live than they are on the recording. I was impressed with the concert so i bought the new CD the next day, but the cancert was better. Chevelle was the opposite, they were sloppy live, but i'd take Wonder What's Next or Vena Sera over Them vs. You vs. Me anyday.
    electric7
    skindred wrote: creativeboner wrote: They are on tour with Evanescence and Chevelle. says it all really doesnt it?
    Chevelle is awesome. Not a big fan of Evanwhatsence. Say chevelle last night, they were better without F11
    ibanezeric82
    I fell in love with this band when I heard Greyest of Blue Skies. I love the other two albums as well. This new one, yeah, its different. But so far, each album by them has been different from the last. I like the new album, maybe not as much as Greyest, but it's still worth getting!
    skindred
    creativeboner wrote: They are on tour with Evanescence and Chevelle.
    says it all really doesnt it?
    Xecks13
    I enjoyed Paralyzer...its not the best but its catchy... Ive only listened to the itunes clips for all the other songs but nothing caught my attention =/
    All0utR0ck
    Give it more than one listen and you wont be disappointed. I found nothing wrong with this album. They have changed their sound and once again it's been said before if you want Greyest of Blue Skies then listen to that. Don't listen to this album expecting the same sound. I loved Paralyzer, Change the World, Falling On, So-So Suicide and Sense of a Spark. I honestly loved the whole album. I don't get what people have against it.
    STriNG-RaY
    parlyzer was a pretty good song from what i see of the comments, this looks like one of the more downloadable albums... time to pull bit torrent out...
    HellrzngPinhead
    The first track Paralyzer has that same groove-oriented, funky feel that you get in Franz Ferdinands Take Me Out. Yyyyyyeah....how about they lifted the entire song? None of their cds they produce from here on will ever come as close to being as good or as sincere as Greyest.
    comfrtably_numb
    Tip was a great album....Above is an awesome song...they went downhill after that...i think they totally suck now
    boyan89
    such a shame great band,but paralyzer can suck my balls, and dance-punk WTF!!!!fu F11 go back to you older shit!!!even my friend hates you ..I..
    d_byrne23
    first album was best, now theyve totally gone to that radio friendly cock rock, album is a big dissapointment from start to finish
    guitargodbiotch
    i dont understand what everone is crying about..this album is sick dude..its beats the hell out of their other ones..this album is good!