Nifelvind review by Finntroll

• Released: Mar 9, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Finntroll: Nifelvind

It's trollish, we'll give them that. Like any of the so-called pagan metal acts, Finntroll fuse the ultra corrosive speed and ferocity of death metal with traditional Finnish folk and the result is almost cartoon-like. It's an atypical pairing, that's for sure! The songs ping-pong back and forth between chilling and creepy death metal to goofy and larger than life, thanks to the keyboards and folk elements. Some parts are scary, while other parts are funny and chuckle inducing, such as the galloping guitars and what sounds like a folksy gang vocal on Solsagan. Another example of alternately goofy and creepy is Ett Norrskensdad. Nifelvind is the equivalent of music bipolar disorder, with moods shifting several times within a song and dozens of times over the course of the album. These are certainly battle ready anthems, but I can't help but find myself giggling and I am not sure that's the intended reaction. Songs such as Tradens Song are uplifting, in parts, and the keys provide an upbeat contrast and foil to the death parts. It's almost like you are listening to a moving carnival, if you can imagine exactly what that sounds like. On paper, this will definitely elicit a What the f--k? reaction. In your ears, it will still generate such as response, but for those who enjoy such an odd and non-seamless mix, this will sound as metal as fuck to you. It just doesn't work for me.

Finntroll are part of a Finnish minority that actually speaks (and sings) in the Swedish tongue. Of course, the use of a foreign language for the vocals and lyrics adds to the music's otherworldly sound and dimension. These songs are reportedly rich in history, but since I don't speak Swedish, it is lost on me, unless I do some research, which down the road, I just may do. I certainly encourage you to do some homework, as that will enhance your enjoyment of what Finntroll are doing. It is to Finntroll's benefit to sing in their sorta mother language, because it only serves to add another cultural element to this music, which sounds like a mix of modern metal and music from a period in history that ended thousands of years ago. The band is not if not effective in achieving that goal.

I don't know what to make of Finntroll and Nifelvind. Sometimes I want to hate it. Other times, I giggle at it. Then I think, wow, where did these dudes get the idea to fuse such disparate styles, even though they probably don't consider them quite so disparate? It really is a style that is for a vocal minority. It's not what I choose to listen to on repeat on the iPod because it doesn't sound quite so cohesive to me after multiple listens. I tried, for the Troll! It doesn't leaving me scratching my head. It just doesn't do it for me.

xicetraex
    I've heard this band a few times. Never been a fan of folk metal, but Tradens song is pretty f--king heavy.
    Pingis_Or_Death
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish-spe... Finns There you go. I belong to the same minority so I can back up this claim. I like some of Finntrolls stuff, but they're far from my favourite band. I guess folk/black just isn't my thing...
    A Ghost Reverie
    Sjunniju wrote: A Ghost Reverie wrote: Divitsk8ter wrote: I thought there was more Black Metal elements to the album, than Death Metal. And they dont speak Swedish...they're from Finland, so obviously they speak Finnish. Anywho, it was a solid album, better than their last. its in swedish, look it up Oh really? thats quite odd. I'm from sweden and yes, they speak swedish
    Oh alright :3 I thought it was just odd that they speak in swedish when they are from finland.
    vIsIbleNoIsE
    Masterofpirates wrote: Seemed like a pretty biased review to me
    quite unfairly biased...as a "UG Team" review, i think it should have been written by someone who is a fan of folk metal and/or finntroll.
    Wellesley
    Honostly I laughed so hard when i listened to this for the first time 1 month ago. I'm sorry it's like a mixture of Immortal, Gorgoth, Moonsorrow, and Alestorm. Ahhhh... Ya I didn't like it.
    Priest_of_Judas
    I don't mind the review, not quite as well written as I'd expect it to be however, however I find it the score far too low. I missed eg a comparison to earlier albums and how the band has made progress through the years? I could do a review myself actually, not to claim I'd write a better one, just a different one. Being a swedish speaking finn myself I can assure some of you "doubters" that Yes, there is a ca 6 % minority in Finland who still speak swedish as their mother tongue, aamof Finland was a natural part of Sweden just 200 years ago, so it's not THAT strange. History lecture's over, g'night.
    leftyace
    Not sure if I'd trust a review that can't tell the difference between Death and Black metal influences...
    Sjunniju
    I'm from sweden and yes, they speak swedish
    MetalBassist777
    Honestly im sorry to say but this review f--cking sucked i know everybody has their own opinion but why write a review on a band you dont even like
    Hells.Mascot
    I haven't heard this album but I remember several years ago I listened to their 'Visor Om Slutet' album and it was very good. One of the best folk metal albums ever.
    3lusiv3
    I've always loved Finntroll, but I haven't heard this album yet. Doubt it'll measure up to Visor Om Slutet or Midnattens Widunder, but they can't really put a foot wrong.
    iH8CarAccidents
    I don't get it... How come it says "f--k" in one part and then one sentence later says "****"? I'm confused...
    HoneyofRuin
    Yet another less than subpar review from this reviewer. She seems more fond of poking fun at the music than actually reviewing the album. I give the album a 7 out of 10. It's okay.
    Reverend-Me
    Nice review, Would never buy it, but very good review anyways, pleasure to read it
    yoozum
    I was hoping the review would compare it to other Finntroll albums, unless I missed that part.
    EpiExplorer
    It is a 'n3cro gr1mm' Alestorm. A lot of it was lulz. Its not my thing. Black metal is just, at times, too bland and too repetative and Finntroll is just a little bit too much about the showing off.
    Astyan
    Very personal review. I liked how you described why it didn't work for you, but it had a constant feeling of "if it is so obviously not your style, how can you pretend giving a fair mark?" the whole read through. Nice read, but I don't think the album deserves a 6.3 on a UG Team review, because it most certainly doesn't reflect its quality when placed in the context of the band's niche genre.
    Doodooma
    it's interesting to see a review from someone NOT into the Folk Metal Genre It was reviewed well, but from a musical standpoint, honestly deserves a better score. This album was a big step in terms of maturity for Finntroll. Their past albums were playful, then came Ur Jordens Djup, which had a REALLY dark feel, and explored the heaviness within the depths of their black metal roots. What they were able to do with (Nifelvind) this album, is actually make things playful, dark, and mature at the same time. If you giggled here, you might as well pee your undies listening to their older stuff But again, nothing against the reviewer, it was still very well taken over and you most importantly didn't slam the album just because you don't like their style. Besides, were all metalheads right XD? \m/
    Deathmethod
    Don't really agree with the review. I laugh pretty easy and kept a straight face through the select "funny" songs. I think this is actually one of their better albums the more I listen to it, but I will agree it isn't groundbreaking. 7.5-8.5 seems like a fair score if you ask me.
    wrathchild712
    Nothing spells legitimacy like a review written by someone who obviously has never listened to any other albums in the genre before.
    Pencil-Clock
    Finntroll are ****ing awesome! This album was more Death-Metal than Folk-Metal IMO, not their best. I liked Jaktens Tid alot more. It's still an awesome album. The first time I listened to it I was :/ but after the 30th time I love it. I would have given it about an eight.
    eg7eg7
    i have to disagree with you on many parts...this album is really awesome, in every aspect, that carnival part adds a lot to the music and is not just amusing
    metallifreak77
    I find the album epic and very satisfying, Finntroll are crazy for sure, but very talented, and the polka elements are incredibly difficult to merge with Metal, yet they do it... very well.
    Divitsk8ter
    its in swedish, look it up
    A Ghost Reverie
    Oh really? thats quite odd.
    acidhammerdrums
    Alestorm is way more Finntroll than Finntroll is Alestorm... so stop saying that Finntroll sounds like Alestorm.