Allegiance review by Firewind

• Released: Jan 23, 2007
Firewind: Allegiance

I ordered this CD over the internet after seeing Firewind open for Dragonforce, and it completly blew me away. They are one of the view modern bands to appear on the scene and stand out to me. They don't sound like a copy of another band, like you get nowadays; and they don't sound the same in all their songs. On this CD you get a big range of different styles mixed in: a nice in-your-face thrash-style opener (Allegiance), the epic Deliverance, a Satriani/Vai/Gary Moore style instrumental (Before the Storm), some classic rock (Ready to Strike), and so on. And the band sounds fantastic. Catchy medlodies on the guitar ond keyboards. All the sound quality is up to date - I particularly like the guitar sound, Gus G has a very nice tone (not to mention some excellent technique in all his playing). For all the people who like music to be impressive, all these musicians are very talented in their fields. Of all Gus G's bands, his chosen one to progress with is Firewind and a good decision, and the latest Firewind lineup is undoubtedly the best.

The new singer Appollo is a very good singer with a unique voice and a stunning range. When I them playing live, he makes a dam good frontman too; he reminds of Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden. The songs on this album ALL have big choruses that will have the words stuck in your head, and that is what you listen to a song for. These are all sing-along tunes. As for lyrics, I believe most of the band had a crack at this so there is a good mix of different styles of words. Their songs are not all about the same thing either which is common in some bands.

I love this album from start to finish, one of the most flawless albums I have heard in a while. I can't pick out any favourite songs, but there are some standout tracks, see above in the SOUND. I would buy this album again if lost or stolen. If you like guitar-based music or anything like that but you dislike the screaming and growling that you get in some new metal, you won't find it here. I would say this album is a must for everyone who looks on this site, but particularly for fans of: Iron Maiden, Dragonforce, Dream Theatre, Alter Bridge, Joe Satriani, etc. An excellent album that's bound to be a classic if Firewind get big.