Allegiance review by Firewind

• Released: Jan 23, 2007
Firewind: Allegiance

Firewind is an intriguing band in that they are described as being power metal but hey don't really have a really prominent keyboard sound all the time. This is not a complaint, merely an observation. Gus G. is an amazing guitarist and he come up with the coolest licks ever. He does these tiny little solos after certain sections of songs and it adds color to the music. Allegiance is a good opening track because people like songs written in 12/8. Falling to Pieces was the very first song I tabbed and submitted to UG. I still need to add the solo though.

Gus wrote the lyrics for most of the songs and usually when guitarists write the lyrics, they aren't the best in the world. Gus holds his own though while Apollo deals out the words, writing some of them himself. The drummer wrote all of the song Dreamchaser and I thought that was a standout track. I think Apollo's best moment on the album is Till the End of Time. But he really shines on Ready to Strike as well.

This is a good place to start for the person who is new to metal. Firewind are fast, agressive, and still have a soft spot. The acoustic intro to Deliverence verifies that. Gus really shows off his skills on te six-string thing but personally I don't think skill is what makes a guitarist good as much as it is what a guitarist can write. The best songs on here are Allegience, Falling To Pieces, Ready To Strike, Till The End Of Time, and Deliverence.