American Capitalist review by Five Finger Death Punch

• Released: Oct 11, 2011
Five Finger Death Punch: American Capitalist

American Capitalist is the latest Five Finger Death Punch release. Prior to its release this record was hyped as The album that will define the Five Finger Death Punch sound. And I pray to god it does. The guitar is in that classic FFDP drop B and the solos have new reign on this album. The bass is unbelievably solid and the drums are aggressive and hectic. Finally the mix of clean vocals and growls is remarkable and the lyrics are intelligent and angry as always. On this release Five Finger continues to create amazing no bull heavy metal. From the starting words I'm a red blooded rough neck son of a bitch /I'm a god damned American Capitalist you know what this album is going to be, one of the greatest records of the year. The guitar is the first thing to draw one in to any Five Finger Death Punch record and American Capitalist is no exception. The riffs are as brutal as ever on this latest disc. One of the most notable riffs is probably the one in The Pride which features hardcore death metal guitar. Zoltan Bathory and Jason Hook team up to create a formidable death metal sound. The problem with these guys is that occasionally the riffs become to repetitive and the guitar gets kind of meh. Yet the overpowering might of the drop B tuning typically compensates for this. One of the interesting advancements of this album over previous releases is that here there is more solo friendly material. I feel that on this record the guitar solos get a lot more respect than on previous records. Now the solos are explosive and beautiful roaring waves icons and not hidden streams. Another interesting development is the addition of more acoustic intros, this makes the album feel a lot more intelligent yet loses none of that good ol' FFDP brutality. All in all the guitar work on this album is amazing, it features brutal riffs and explosive solos and even a few more acoustic bits. The rhythm section is tight and spot on. The solid drum/bass synchronization is one of the things that makes songs like Menace so amazing. Bassist Chris Kael makes a great debut with FFDP and Jeremy Spencer continues to live up to his name. The rhythm players even get their own little solos on this record. For bassist Chris Kael its the intro to Generation Dead. For drummer Jeremy Spencer its at the end of the solo on American Capitalist. In both cases these guys show their skills to the utmost and prove they can do more than their repetitive but awesome synchronization. I do feel that the one thing that might add to the brutality to the music would be more aggressive drumming. Overall though the rhythm section of Five Finger is one of the greatest in modern metal.

Now on to the vocals, and boy can Ivan Moody rip it up. His growls and clean vocals are both top notch. The growls in 100 Ways to Hate are probably the key example of his down and dirty vocals. Conversely his clean vocals are demonstrated in the surprisingly light but awesome track Remember Everything. One of my favorite things about FFDP has perennially been the sheer anger captured in Ivan's growls. Take any one of tracks from the record (apart from Remember Everything) and the sheer aggression and hatred will blow you away. Yet once this horrible anger has blown you away the melodic clean vocals kick in and your mind is blown again by the sheer contrast. The vocals match these evil growls at the same time as the melodic vocals by having extremely angry but intelligent lyrics. Some of the words on this album can only be described as poetry. In short the vocals, melt your face and take you to a whole new level of metal glory.

In conclusion the new Five Finger Death Punch record is one of the greatest things you'll hear this year. With the sheer might of the guitar with its brutal riffs and shredding solos this album draws you in. The powerful drum/bass combination helps to make the album even more brutal. Finally the vocals are amazing with both growls and clean vocals that are top notched Five Finger can not be beat. My favorite track is probably American Capitalist I just love those lyrics. So go check out this record today. You won't regret it.

blueharvest2112
    This band are awesome, having said that even though i love the music i do agree that little has changed since the first album. (but if it aint broke dont fix it.) people are entitled to there opinions but my view is that metal should never be about whats cool or whats in/whats out (if you catch my drift?) leave that childish attitude to pop fans! Long live metal and its vast diversity (oh and if you gunna bitch about something, how about posting you own musical works on here for people to hear...then see how YOU like being shot down...) just sayin is all.
    Lopez72
    I feel like this set of lyrics should end with: Americaaaaa F Yeah!
    Matmoesa
    why bash the band i don't get it. low tuned guitars with good riffage, check lyrics about angsty shit and belting things. check rhythm section with a massive amount of lowend and decent amount of cymbals. check and to top it off a vocalist that is audible with the dynamic ability to both have smooth vocals and gruff vocals. as far as metal bands go they have all the elements to make it as a band i just don't get why so many people rag on them.
    Sic_maggot_H
    JB95
    Masterofpirates wrote: This band is like All That Remains if you took out everything good and got a twelve year old to write lyrics.
    hell no. Their style is way differen't and especially the guitars. All they got in common is that the vocals are screamed and sung. That the bands are similar is so ignorant to say.
    demonsheep
    I like FFDP, but I sure am embarrassed about it. The music has quite a lot of feeling in it, but the lyrics do sound like they've been written by an angst-y teenager.. It puts off a lot of people, but I can't really help but just like the music.
    umbrella666
    Nobody here seems to have actually listened to the whole album.....I know the lyrics seem iffy at times but that's because a lot of them are about what has happened in Moody's life. He isn't going to wrap the lyrics in a pretty little package of complex words...he's gonna shout out what he feels. You people need to know what you're talking about before you criticize a band. I give this album a 9.0. I honestly love it.
    BenAffleck
    pile645
    legend shredder
    pile645 wrote: Not really a fan but damn. Lots of people ragging on these guys. I guess in order to qualify as a good metal band no one must know who the hell you are.
    +10 Internets to you sir.
    Beyond_Insanity
    noodles_wazaman wrote: These boys are the Nickelback of the metal scene. I'm sorry, but its true.
    I don't see it...
    slaveskinJACKET
    techdude50
    daylightdies370 wrote: I used to like 5FDP until I heard Never Enough...
    that was their second single, so you only liked them for one song?
    dash-rendar
    djc707 wrote: It's B standard, not drop B
    Finall, someone who actually knows something about FFDP
    bobafettacheese
    First off, I like 5FDP. Second off, I don't freely admit it for some reason. I find whenever I tell a friend that I like them, I should feel guilty or embarassed by it.
    AndSteve
    I can't believe so many people don't like this album or the lyrics. The lyrics are not awful, they are actually really good on this album. I like American Capitalist almost as much as The Way of the Fist, and the only thing I can complain about here is that some of the riffs are meh, but there are plenty of fantastic songs on it. Oh and Tenacius-A, you are a complete idiot of you are criticizing The Pride's lyrics, because you clearly do not understand the song.
    COBHC_Cam
    Sic_maggot_H wrote: Ok seriously is anyone ever happy? You dont like FFDP then gtfo. Same with Metallica, Megadeth, Slipknot, and any other band. I clicked this to read about a band I like not to listen to you bitch
    Thank GOD that someone gets it, if you dont like the band dont read the story or the review or the interview!
    Mushieknot
    I don't think anyone actually processed The Pride 's lyrics. They just saw "Coca Cola Pepsi" and just got angry. I like this album, but I feel like they chopped the guitar solos off quite a bit from other albums.Under and Over it and The Pride sound like they should just bust into shred solos but we never quite get that.
    DLMetal92
    I agree that this band isn't the most mind blowing music and it isn't extremely unique. But I do like to listen to them while I workout or something because it is good pump up music. Nothing absolutely amazing from them but they are a solid metal band. Does not deserve the hate they get.
    DANTE-A.L.A.R.
    querido cara de poto numero dos, stas re equivocado, st s un muy buen album y sta dentro de mis favoritos del 2011, junto a In Waves y Unto The Locust, dale una buena escuchada y talvez l semen salga de tu cerebro, con cario Angel
    Sewn Up
    I'm a big fan FFDP, however I do agree with a lot of people on the lyrics. It would be nice to see a little more maturity in the lyrics. Other than that, I think everything from the vocal delivery to the drum sound on this album is pretty decent.
    stoplookinghere
    why is it that when somebody implements anger into their music it is instantly associated with teenagers? everybody gets angry *****s
    cmart24
    Sounds like alot of you people are just a bunch of douchebags that would trash and judge everything. Stop your bitchin and get in the pit. Lets face it there will never be another pantera. But I'm sure plenty of people thought they sucked too.
    IVOSPAZOUT
    To be honest, I love metal. Nuff Said. But if you don't like the band why bash? Seriously it's a waste of everyone's time. Yeah, maybe the lyrics are immature, riffs chugging along, but music isn't about what people ****ing want! That's why the entire airwaves, tv and internet is flooded with super shit music, because they obey people what the people want. Metal is about that shit. Hell if that shit stops we ain't better than any pop, hip hop or rap artist. Guys, musicians play what they want, if you don't like it don't ****ing listen to it then. Ok thats my rage. But in all honesty, good angry album, lots of energy, nice solos. Average vocals but hey, it's who they are.
    ReldvS
    100 ways to hate is a tribute to John Davis of Korn according to Ivan Moody on Sirus Octane during the 5 days of Death Punch they are doing right now. same ol 5FDP.... not to say that is bad. great workout music. pretty formulaic in approach but if you like them, you will like this. I do hear some Slipknot influence in the riffage as well as some Pantera...Jus my opinion. Give AMERICAN CAPITALIST a 7.5 out of 10
    Ibanez706
    A handful of tracks being (American Capitalist, Back For More, I'll Fall, and Remember Everything) show the 5FDP that I love... Quality stuff. The rest specificaylly The pride is terrible
    Destinyrider22
    BenAffleck wrote: "Disneyland, White House, JFK and Micky Mouse John Wayne, Springsteen, Eastwood, James Dean Coca Cola, Pepsi, Playboy, Text me NFL, NBA, Brett Favre, King James" WE DIDN'T START THE FIRE...
    +5 lmao
    Tenaciøus-A
    "Spencer unveiled that due to the bass tracks already being done by the time Kael joined, that he would not be on this record. The producer of the record Kevin Churko had already recorded the bass tracks for the record at that point. This is his second time working with 5FDP and Jeremy spoke about what it was like to work with Churko again" ~ One of the external links from the 'American Capitalist' page of Wikipedia.
    Mr7K
    DrainYou1967
    +1000
    vppark2
    whywefight wrote: Mr7K wrote: I'd like these guys if it weren't for the lyrics :/ I just feel like I'm 13 listening to them. I thought that too, and I normally don't care about lyrics.
    so
    slaveskinJACKET wrote: The first reviewer loves this album too much for me to trust him. He notes things that aren't good about the album, yet gives it a nearly perfect rating of 9.7. The second review seems more fair and accurate, although I haven't heard the album yet. And even though, in the review, he says he would, for some reason, give what he calls a bland and boring album an overall rating of 7, at the top of his review it says he gave it a 5.7. However, I find it strange that even I know that they have a new bass player making his debut on this album. Yet the second reviewer believes that their producer took over bass duties for the album. Like I said, I haven't heard any of the album aside from the single, which sounds like some kind of Randy Savage tribute -- not in a good way -- and with horrible vocals and lyrics (like most other 5FDP). I wouldn't call myself a fan of this band, but someone who can see potential within the band. However, I'm convinced that they'll never make any good music with Ivan Moody in the band. His voice sounds good when he puts some growl on it, but I just don't like his clean voice. He doesn't have much range, in his clean voice at least, and it sounds heavily inspired by Phil Anselmo, by way of Corey Taylor. On top of that, his lyrics are flat-out awful 95%-99% of the time. As many others have said, they sound like they were written by a kid in middle school. Out of what I have heard from these guys, there's not usually more than a few seconds at a time when a song sounds good, and it's usually during the instrumental breaks and solos. Far From Home is the best sounding song I've ever heard from them, yet the singer just holds the band down, in my opinion. But if what the first reviewer says is true, that the music is interesting, albeit repetitive, on this album, I might check it out. What I appreciate about this band is, well... the band. I think they have potential, but I don't think they'll ever accomplish anything too special with Ivan Moody at the helm.
    so true
    EpiExplorer
    Zoltan Bathory and Jason Hook team up to create a formidable death metal sound.
    Grade A+ BS right there, just sounds like some second hand Soilwork riffs.
    K!!LsWiTcH
    i heard the song american capitalist thought it was cool but as far as everything else ive ever heard from them nah
    mysticguitar77
    Much of the same from FFDP. A bunch of chugga, chugga guitar riffs with cringe worthy lyrics and vocals with little or no experimentation now over 3 albums. This band gets boring real quick especially if you listen to their albums often. Their songs just blend together. They're all similar in structure, most are similar lyrically with no signs of improvement. Their music is just not dynamic enough to be interesting for long periods of time.
    Shlecht
    eff these guys. get them the hell out of the music scene. oh wait, that's inevitable anyway.
    henrihell
    I like this album, only thing I kind of dislike is his clean voice, which I've kinda had enough of. But the riffs and the agression on the album is really nice! And since none of the songs (at least not yet) have been played on the radio to the point anyone gets enough of them it's the best album so far. =)