Got Your Six review by Five Finger Death Punch

• Released: Sep 4, 2015
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Five Finger Death Punch: Got Your Six

Five Finger Death Punch (FFDP) was founded in Las Vegas in 2005, and in a lot of ways they represent the spirit of Las Vegas. They're kind of flashy and corny at the same time, the talent is there, but it isn't always displayed to the strongest effect. The band has been wildly popular since they started releasing music, and critics have been critical, but the albums sell. Obviously, FFDP is selling albums at a much higher rate than a lot of their contemporaries and they're filling venues pretty consistently. "Got Your Six" is the band's sixth full length studio album, with their most recent releases being "The Wrong Side of Heaven and the Righteous Side of Hell," both volumes 1 & 2, were released in 2013. "Got Your Six" has 11 tracks with a total runtime of approximately 38 minutes. Two singles have been released for the album - the lead single is "Jekyll and Hyde" which released in mid-June, and it was followed by "Hell to Pay," which was released in July.

The album opens up with the title track, "Got Your Six" with a nice dramatic scream of "CHARGE!," and some groovy heavy riffing. The lyrics focus on how badass the narrator is, but how he also has your back... so, yeah, then there is a quiet breakdown where Ivan Moody narrates in a spoken voice that "I will never accept defeat, and I will never quit," then back to business with the heavy riffing after a short guitar solo. "Jekyll and Hyde" is the first single from the album, and is about how the songwriter knows they're supposed to be happy, but there is too much responsibility on their shoulders to enjoy life. This song does have my favorite lyrics from the album, which stood out because I thought they were decent: "You've got rocks in your head, I can hear them rolling 'round/ You can say that you're above it, but you're always falling down." The solo for "Jekyll and Hyde" is pretty badass. "Wash It All Away" opens with a quirky arpeggio and is essentially about giving up on everything, from family to politics. There is a nice melodic solo on this one, but otherwise it is a fairly non-descript track.

"Ain't My Last Dance" opens up with some fairly powerful drumming and lyrics open up with "I'm the apocalypse with a fat lip." The chorus tends to neuter the aggression of the verses and intro as it is a sing-a-long type of chorus. "My Nemesis" actually has a fairly catchy opening, but the song doesn't ever seem to go anywhere. There is, of course, a squealing guitar solo, which is the highlight of the track. "No Sudden Movement" is just a piss poor song, lyrically - the chorus is "click clack/ reload/ click clack/ unload." "Question Everything" is a stand out track on the album because the lyrics were at least thought out a little bit and it is musically solid, with a cool little acoustic section near the end. "Hell To Pay" is another song that is kind of mediocre - it doesn't do anything to stand out, and besides having a few really bad lines in the lyrics the track seems to just pass by uneventfully. "Digging My Own Grave" has a very cool percussion and acoustic intro and could have been a really awesome track, but the lyrics are just weak. "Meet My Maker" has a catchy rhythm part, and the solo is intense, but the rest of the song and lyrics are repetitive. "Boots and Blood" starts out with "think of one word to change the world/ and now put it into action/ FUCK!" and the song goes on from that point... musically it is repetitive but kind of a cool riff for the first little bit.

Ivan Moody... holy cheesus, man, take some creative writing courses or something. You can sing well enough, but I can't take your lyrics anymore. The vocal delivery is pretty much standard fare for hard rock or radio metal, meaning it is in key, there is some occasional screaming but not enough to make a casual metal listener uncomfortable, and mainly just sticking to a slightly gruff delivery. The lyrics, though, are ugly. I'll list a few brief examples. From "Jekyll and Hyde": "There's just so much God damned weight on your shoulders/ That you can't just live your motherfucking life/ The story's getting old and my heart is getting colder/ I just wanna be Jekyll, but I'm always fighting Hyde." For some reason the transitions between second person and first person hit me the wrong way. From the title track, "Got Your Six" you have: "I'm a fucking soldier/ Just like I told you/ While I'm just warming up/ you're getting colder/ Out on the battleground." I'm assuming that this goes along with their track "Battle Born" from "The Wrong Side of Heaven and the Righteous Side of Hell, Volume 2" that is supposed to be appealing to soldiers. The difference in the two track is that "Battle Born" sounds like a single and has a clear message, while some of the lyrics are contradictory and confusing on "Got Your Six." The lyrics really are a liability at this point - maybe somebody else in the band should give writing lyrics a try.

I mean, this is what it is - a subpar release from a renowned hard rock band that is one of the few bands in the genre having any true level of success. If I had to guess, than I would guess that this album will sell well enough, they will still sell tickets to their shows, but maybe after a few months they'll play less songs from the new album and go back to their tried and true crowd favorites and this album will just be a minor diversion from the bland radio metal that FFDP are known for. Again, musically it is catchy enough but it just doesn't deliver lyrically and none of the songs are especially catchy. Props to Zoltan Bathory and Jason Hook as the guitar parts are solid, if not especially creative. My favorite songs from the album are "Question Everything," "Digging My Own Grave" (if you ignore the lyrics) and "My Nemesis."

Jimjambanx
    "...some of the cheesiest lyrics in modern music that aren't intentionally ironic." Lyrics: //6 What? I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure anything above 5 implies that it's above average. From reading your review and listening to a few of the tracks, I wouldn't give the lyrics anything over a 3.
    theblazinasian
    It just occurred to me that giving the album 6's across the board may have been a practical joke by the reviewer.
    Zan595
    So...I get the impression from the review that this album ranges from reeeally bad to mediocre at best. Why give it 6's across the board?
    loopymofo2000
    Canto 34 is their best song....and one of my all time fave driving tunes....of course, there is no vocals. everything else is just angsty high school i hate my life metal band garbage that doesn't need to be anything. I will give them credit for doing what they set out to do. but now its time for them to gtfo and let the real bands do their thing. New Maiden anyone?
    BlackDeath92
    I gotta agree with you on Canto 34. If FFDP would kick Ivan out and write more awesome instrumentals like that, they'd probably not get so much flak.
    toateridax2010
    Or at least teach Ivan how to write better. I love his vocals, but 85% of his lyrics are shit.
    BlackDeath92
    Very true. Even if Ivan could write better lyrics, I doubt anyone would take him seriously anyway, especially after this album.
    vppark2
    "FFDP is selling albums at a much higher rate than a lot of their contemporaries and they're filling venues pretty consistently." I guess people enjoy generic butt rock.
    Aryan Death Man
    Just please review new Iron Maiden album UG! IT'S A FUCKING MASTERPIECE! Who the hell cares about 5dp when Iron Fucking Maiden is releasing at the same time?
    magicant7
    5fdp is for fuckin 15 year olds that think they know what metal is 1/10 album
    alex720
    Such a shame that these fucking morons are one of the few bands that is actually moderately successful, and yet there are countless bands that are infinitely more talented who are barely getting by.
    Vincentdrummer
    I thought american capitalist was pretty cool for what it was. I took it with a grain of salt. but this is just so fucking bad. I don't know if I should laugh or cry.
    loveleen
    this album is ....shiiittttt tried listening atleast one song but i cant...
    PRSguitars87
    Yeah the 6 makes no sense after bashing the whole album. And cheesy lyrics? Who saw that coming from a band named "five finger death punch?"
    vppark2
    Ehh, he wasn't really bashing the lyrics, especially since they are in fact downright awful.
    Vincentdrummer
    MayhemX666
    I've been a fan probably since 2009. I love all their old stuff but the lyrics on this album are just atrocious. The music and everything else is pretty cool. But Ivan, C'mon.
    JOHNSTONE6
    Don't listen to this garbage people, don't fall into the trap of "what your suppose to listen to" or "this is the best we got now a days"(Its not! Never was!) . Lyrics: worst lyrics I've ever heard, even backstreet boys are better no joke. Music: What music?! I've heard 6 year olds make better tunes. Appearance: This seems to be the only thing people like about them because they are so macho and dumb and steroid'd up...honestly Id rather watch keeping up with the kardashians(and i fucking hate them). This gets a flat out 0/10 from me. Save yourself the time/life, this shit is GARBAGE.
    toateridax2010
    I've always been kinda on the fence about 5FDP. On the surface, the songs are crushing and can make Slipknot look soft at times (and that's saying something). But the lyrics are pretty repetitive. They're definitely not my favorite band, but they really don't deserve all the hate they're getting.
    pressureproject
    For the past couple of years, any band with any sort of "in your face" type of attitude gets dogged on here. Another good example is Kerry King hate. That is surprising since a big majority of the guys on here are metal fans. I guess the genre's fans have just changed. Of course ffdp has mostly cheesy lyrics...they're basically "Comic Book Metal". The guitarists are top notch guys, so the only sense that can be made of the hate is obviously not musical.
    Northernmight
    Seems to me that these guys kinda do what Slipknot did ages ago. Or try to. I know Slipknot got really universally loved now, because.. Because it's old now so Hipster-yo! But at the time, that was the angsty NU-Metal thing with horrible lyrics that tended to annoy metal fans. These guys are just more catchy, and thus sounds even more sterile.
    LoseTheGenre
    I'd really enjoy it if this got taken off the front page. Every time I see the terrible album art I die a bit more.
    BigDickWilly666
    Good. Maybe natural selection is taking place and we can finally rid the human race of little sensitive desk jockies who can't comprehend why people enjoy different things.
    Silent_guy
    Where's the stuff from way of the fist or war is the answer that's the stuff I miss
    trudge34
    I used to be a massive Five Finger fan years ago. I think since the release of Wrong Side / Right Side I've started to sour on them a bit. I am a fan of the driving bass and heavy riffs (Under and Over It, Lift Me Up, Hatebreed type) but it just seems they've come out with so much in so little time it's a bit oversaturated with their music, and the quality has taken a dive. For me personally, the last 3 albums have had a few nuggets that I really like and the rest is pretty blah.
    Xomar
    I thought this was a Drake collaboration about running through the 6 or whatnot
    Ultimate-Grohl
    When are these guys going to stop relying on gimmicks and just go the full Metalcore route? It's really just groove metal with more high tempo. The band seems to do what they want to do well. Ivan Moody can't stop being edgy and probably relies on cliches in his lyrics. He tried to kill Motograter and he's already killing this band so I'll leave him where he is. The other members are ok I guess. They have the riffs but need to stop doing solos and start chugging. The drummer needs more blast beats.
    magicant7
    Holy shit how many FFDP reviews are there gonna be Is UG trollin us? 1/10 album
    vppark2
    I wouldn't even give much credit to the guitar parts. It's the same old formula being used over and over again. It's like they're trying way too hard to be Slipknot. Jekyll And Hyde's guitar parts actually sounds like Duality.
    pressureproject
    Too much testosterone for the average UGer.
    cav22s
    Their music doesn't really give the vibe of testosterone filled music to me. More like the im about turn 11 and im really a bad ass kind of vibe to me. Really just bad and immature music that dumb asses eat up. Ill listen to Lamb of God if I want to rage out but testosterone? Meh these guys are goof balls and not in a good way
    pressureproject
    I know I got at least 1 upvote in the there somewhere. There's a few men left on here. Epi...you there???
    RJDfan666
    Pro Tip: The more you feel the need to emphasize how masculine you are, the more people will know that you're really just insecure about something.
    TheLiberation
    It's funny how many of the "TOUGH GUY BROS, RAAARRR" don't understand that. Although I guess this guy is just trolling.
    ajwi135
    Guys I know that some of You are "true metallers" and you use to listen Testement, Slayer and Motorhead etc. and you think that other bands like 5FDP with lots of influences except metal isnt really metal. And Honestly..? Who cares about lyrics nowadays? Is this really matter more than music?
    vppark2
    One other thing, don't ever use the word "badass" in a review. It just sounds really weird.
    Jcsb1993
    got the review commissioner over here if you have any questions guys