The Way Of The Fist review by Five Finger Death Punch

• Released: Apr 3, 2007
Five Finger Death Punch: The Way Of The Fist

Five Finger Death Punch are a groove/thrash metal band from Los Angeles. The sound is completely different to the american metalcore sound of the moment. The sound uses melodies playing over typical groove/thrash chords. The vocals kick in with a very harsh, agressive typical of Machine Head vocals and then switches to a much more melodic style of singing in the chorus, the drums provide bursts of double bass in periods while holding the infectious beat found in 'Ashes' and 'Meet the Monster'. This type of thing is nothing new, with bands such as Machine Head, Prong and Fear Factory having done this. However, the sound is mixed well (thanks to Logan Mader, ex-Machine Head) and the whole album is free from the shackles of the underproduced thrash sound of albums such as Slayer's 'Reign In Blood' and Testament's 'New Order'. I was particularly impressed by the guitar work more than anything else on the album mixing the right amount of dissonance and melody and also the switching of vocals. The negatives with making your own sound, as they have done well, is that songs can sound too similar. This is a trap they seem to have fallen into, with many of the songs starting aggressive verse, melodic chorus and repeat. However the solos split up the monotone and I'm giving this album a 9 on sound.

The lyrics aren't what I would have expected of this kind of metal. Most of this kind of metal deals with social discord (Machine Head) or are more southern rock influenced (Pantera), however the vocals on 'The Way of the Fist' could be described as emotional, dealing with personal feelings towards others and personal disappointments. This makes listening to it slightly awkward. For example in 'Ashes', at the start the lyrics go a little bit like: 'You don't understand me, and you probably never will.' To hear that through an agressive groove-style vocals is slightly confusing to say the least. However many of the lyrics are tongue-in-cheek and live up to the sound of the album, for example: 'I'm a walking one-man-genocide black belt in corrupt'.

This album is definitely for those who have a love-hate affair with current metal, e.g. Metalcore. Fans of older Thrash albums are more likely to seek the sound of older Thrash albums and may be put off by the lyrics. In the way of groove metal now, it is leagues ahead of bands such as Prong, while this album was on par with Machine Head's 'The Blackening', but losing out on the lyrics side. Not as epic as Machine Head's album either. The first song I heard was 'Ashes', which instantly won over, while 'Salvation' and 'Can't Heal You' won me over. 'The Bleeding' is slightly less aggresive and really made to be a single. For Fans of: Fear Factory, Machine Head, Prong, Trivium (post-Ascendancy), Diecast and Demon Hunter.

JustinBrand
    IMO trivium and FFDP sound nothing alike trivium is way faster and technical than FFDP but that is my OPINION... all though they are the same genere... both very good bands
    Necray
    An epic debut by FFDP. With the flow of time and enough experience in their bag, they can easily hog the light. The vocals is one of the best I've heard.
    metalmania310
    I see what your saying, even though I disagree, but I dig the acdc point, I ****ing hate that band wtf dude? acdc is an amazing band. yeah, a lot of thier songs sound alike at first. but if you take the time to actually listen to them you'll prove yourself wrong.
    Haunted_Shell
    zantimas wrote: FFDP's album is good, but after a while it almost seems like ur listening to ACDC in the sence that every ****ing song sounds that same, theres hardly any diferntiality in the whole album and it gets really boring
    zantimas
    cybermichaelusa
    id rather have Motograter back to tell you the truth, but the guitar riffs are pretty solid, ive noticed that he (Moody) uses the same melodys that he used in Motograter, especially from the song Suffocate. nothing new to me, but still good
    boostjosephm
    ok the blaading is easy to learn on guitar great riff definitley made to be a single and not sure what groove/thrash is but this is a lot like all thet remains. listen to the lyrics closely. they aall sound like an emotional. plz contact me for coments.....
    undeaded
    If you listen to the lead guitar on FFDP's album, you'll see there are lots of technical parts. However this parts repeat, unlike Trivium.
    undeaded
    adio sgk wrote: 5 finger sounds nothing like trivium post-Ascendancy. trivium sucks now and 5 finger kicks ass. they dont really sound like any of those other bands either. who ever wrote this reviw needs to actually listen to the cd when they listen to it!!!!!
    I suggest you listen to the Crusade thoroughly. The sound is similar. The groove/thrash elements in both bands show through.
    adio sgk
    Build An Army
    Well, my apologies to you, undeaded for your now, constructive contribution to the review. However, I think it was the manner in which you targeted the sounds like topic that annoyed me It was simply how I felt about the style of music and who I think resembles that. I do agree with your mix of music (Machine Head and Killswitch) but of course Machine Head will resemble this band, for reasons you know... But I guess it's fair enough! For the genre mishap, again I apologise I was mistaken, Groove/Thrash Metal is correct, I did not check my genres before I posted my article. Although, I do not really want to go into another genre argument as there are far too many of those already on this website - and its pretty pointless really.
    relicmusic1990
    my favorite song is "the way of the fist" that song is ****ing brutal, the only thing i would compare FFDP and BB is the vocals sound similar the clean vocals, everything else is pretty much opposite ends of the metal spectrum, BB is hard rock and FFDP is like thrashy and metal, i just say they're metal