War Is The Answer review by Five Finger Death Punch

• Released: Sep 22, 2009
Five Finger Death Punch: War Is The Answer

Testosterone could be an instrument on Five Finger Death Punch's sophomore effort, War Is The Answer. If you like crunchy metal with as much bark as there is bite and that has a little more balls than your average rock radio act, then War is the Answer will foot the bill and then some. FFDP traffic in short blasts of energy on this album. Most of the songs hover at the three minute mark and under; few last beyond three-and-a-half minutes, so these are efficient, get in and get out songs that follow the formula of a catchy, radio-accessible song, but FFDP aren't that simple. We're surprised, too. The drums on Dying Breed and Hard to See are like rounds of fisticuffs: fast, violent, and pummeling. The riffs are chunky and full of moshability on Bullet Proof, as well. While this sound was dominating those bought-and-sold second stage slots at Ozzfest, Five Finger Death Punch don't sound like some industry-manufactured model coming down the assembly line. There's attitude here. No, they're not single-handedly reviving and resurrecting nu metal, but they are keeping it alive better than, say, forefathers like Korn. And while some of you readers may scoff at the notion of nu metal making a comeback, the genre did sell a f--k ton of records when it was in vogue, so there clearly are fans of this style. It speaks to someone, namely truckers and strippers in the meat and potatoes heartland. And if you're a math teacher in New York City and the choppy snarl of the socially-charged No One Gets Left Behind or the sensitivity of the ballad Far From Home gets you by the jugular, we'll that's completely fine.

Clean singing. Impassioned screaming. Like any good band looking to make an impact beyond the metal underground, Five Finger Death Punch plant their feet in two vocal worlds on War is the Answer. Vocalist Ivan Moody was once in makeup-slathered, major label neo-metal act Motograter raise your hand if you remember them!- and the mother fucker can sing. The ballad Far From Home allows him to spotlight his clean, melodic vox, against some riffage that would make any 80s axe proud. He's got an above-average bark that pairs nicely with his clean singing and the band's mixed bag of tempos and riffing. Walk Away is a moody, Alice in Chains-inspired diamond in the rough, and it's another platform for Moody to showcase his voice. There's also a solo that could have been picked up somewhere in the 1980s, as well!

There were a few sweet, Swedish melodies in the mix here. You'd think that Five Finger Death Punch were listening to In Flames or Soilwork here and there and that influence crept into a few moments of War is the Answer, and that's to the aforementioned bands' credit. Five Finger Death Punch should be easy to dislike, but they're actually making a name for themselves amongst the Mudvaynes and Chevelles of the world, with that extra natch!- punch and ability to go as melodic as they wanna go!

schangatang
    mcfreaki
    zachum1116
    i don't understand why people who don't like a band waste their time commenting on it in the first place, only to write something negative.
    Misfit-FTB
    There okay, but what don't understand is that douche bags who don't like it have to waste there time and meaninglessly tell me it sucks.
    Axis Of Evil
    Screw what everyone else says. I think these guys are amazing. Sure, they aren't all technical and such, but what's it matter? If you like it, you like it. And WHY do people who don't like them have to come here and post JUST to slam them? It's stupid. Stop. I don't go to your Megadeth threads to slander Dave Mustaine for his pre-pubescent 12 year old girl voice.
    JustAddBeer
    I saw them at Mayhem Tour 2 years ago, and i have to say I don't understand why so many people hate them. They were really good live, they got the crowd really involved, and their cd stuff is good too. Their vocals are great, guitar has some pretty sick riffs but nothing all too flashy. Drumming is tight, some great playing in the cd, don't hear much of the bass but seems decent.
    southpaw_tdg
    a band, no matter what label you give it will sound the same without it. stop labeling everything and just listen
    alliwant
    I don't care what genre they fall under, I'm liking what I'm hearing and can't wait to see them when they come to Glasgow later in the year.
    Random3
    And I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure FFDP is not nu-metal... it's groove metal
    FearOfTheDuck
    I actually gave this CD a chance, after not liking the first album at all. And i have to say i really like it. I've listened to it a lot though and its starting to get old. Where as an album like Crack the Skye hasn't. I think this band will be loved mostly by all, then hated, just like limp bizkit. Because i can't imagine them developing their sound much
    NIN_junkie
    I don't understand how people can hate 5FDP. Or give War Is The Answer a 7.3?! Honestly, this CD is excellent. Amazing guitars, intense drums and Ivan's singing is just spot on. Best album I've heard in a long time. Way Of The Fist was perfect, War Is The Answer just tops it off.
    BassistFreak
    Sanitarium91 wrote: That is unfortunately true.Indeed. Man this band sucks.
    If they suck, how do they have 2 albums? They don't suck, you just don't prefer them. Instead of just saying a band sucks plain out of nowhere you can give your reasons such as "I don't think they are very musically talented, they could be better in _____" Hrrm...
    BassistFreak
    Sanitarium91 wrote: That is unfortunately true.Indeed. Man this band sucks.
    St.Angarrrrrr
    yeah true nu metal is sucky....just like the noriegen black metal woops spelled it wrong but you know what im sayin lol
    transplants182
    not a great band by any means, but I think they're decent plus it's impossible not to wanna get in a fight after listening to them
    zachum1116
    i thought this was a review of the current album, not a debate on the genre of music. anyway, if you have listened to their first album you will realize that the members of this band are actually talented musicians and songwriters. this album however is clearly not as good as the last. the heavy stuff has no feeling, the lyrics make me laugh, and the clean vocals sound like crying. this album does not even hint at the fact that they might know how to write songs, which they clearly do as realized by listening to the first one.
    F8iscruel
    i need to get this album and now i feel bad, i created the 5FDP thread in the hardcore forums
    Dakkstar
    I love lamp
    guitaraddict333
    i dont give a damn what genre there labeled under. All I know is I ****in love this band. I can relate to almost every one of there songs, and they make me wanna headbang then beat the **** out of somebody in a mosh pit.
    da.benson8r
    ibanez91065 wrote: schangatang wrote: lol. its not nu metal... its groove metal. wait.. its not groove metal. its alternative metal wait! its actually post thrash groove alternative metal. wait! its actually a broom what the hell? dude, its chair metal, get your head in the game
    hahaha, very true... FFDP is far better than most of the old nu-metal bands, i hate korn and slipknot fell into the fail zone, static x is good though
    BIGD2
    bassthunder wrote: And if youre a math teacher in New York City and the choppy snarl of the socially-charged No One Gets Left Behind or the sensitivity of the ballad Far From Home gets you by the jugular, well thats completely fine. Proofread much? Also, not everyone in the "heartland" is a trucker or a stripper. We're not ALL rednecks out here.
    LD_Luke D
    this was the first CD in a very long time to leave me completely speechless
    styxfan226
    This album kicks ass, i don't care what the other people say. Everything Ivan has put out (FFDP, Motograter, Ghost Machine) has been amazing.
    rafd02
    theyre not nu-metal, theyre more groove metal, but who cares about stupid sub-genres either way theyre awesome
    BassistFreak
    Woooops i'm sorry i did not mean to double post, please delete one above. I must have clicked "post a comment!" to many times when my computer was being slow.
    a drummer
    The Frayed Ends wrote: I made up a subgerne for this band, it's called douche metal. Because every poser "thrasher" douchebag I know loves the shit out of this band and it sickens me.
    dude, you just won the award for being the biggest douch for that comment. Like seriously people. Are we all still that immature that we judge the sound of a band cause some random faggot we don't even know likes them? The human race is half retarded...
    Sanitarium91
    henkka_potku wrote: "Nu metal isn't a dead genre" That is unfortunately true.
    Indeed. Man this band sucks.
    AnEvilWalrus
    Their lyrics are PATHETIC. PATHETIC. Worst I've ever read. Grow some balls, Moody. The Way of the Fist was a far better album.
    The Frayed Ends
    haz_uk
    nothing new - sounds farty and compressed. the riffs are boring and the production is ugly.
    ibanez91065
    what the hell? dude, its chair metal, get your head in the game
    hansome21
    How are they not nu-metal? Were any of you even alive when Nu-metal was more popular than pop? Do you know any Nu-metal bands? Korn, Deftones, Mudvayne, Slipknot, etc. FFDP is totally Nu-metal and there is no rule in any music, especially Nu-metal that you can't have guitar solos, it just wasn't popular in the 90s cause Slash made all the other guitarists in the world look like shit, so why bother? ... and jesus christ people why do you care about genre so much?
    FearOfTheDuck
    This band aren't anything special. I saw the bleeding video a while ago, its ****ing gay. So cliched
    im not mental
    i hate their vocals. i don't like their guitar tone. i saw them on mayhem fest 2 years ago and they were nothing special/douchebags. that's my two cents on this band.
    zachum1116
    i don't understand why only about 5 percent of the comments on here are actually comments about the review or educated comments on the album in general. can someone explain this to me?
    POWERMETAL!
    GREENWARRI0R wrote: I don't understand why people like this band. just sounds like another below average, cookie cutter metal band to me.
    thats what i thought at first, but theres some talent in there, this cds got an instrumental and a SICK cover of Bad Company.. lol yea. much better then the original! GREAT CD, for ANY fan of METAL! and i'm a picky ****in metal fan! so get past the 'radio hits' and listen to the very good MUSICIANSHIP in this album, and for the love of God stop calling it nu-metal!!! its very clearly Heavy Metal!
    webbtje
    zachum1116 wrote: the problem with this classification stuff is, when people want to write music they don't say "hey lets be a nu-metal band". they just write what they want to write and don't care what guidelines they follow or break and don't care about the classification of genre. its not like albums come with a sticker on the front that says " the content you will find in this package is strictly metalcore and will abide by all specifications without straying from the boundaries so that you, the fans, will not complain about it on some obscure forum at 8pm on a tuesday night." besides genres don't even exist, no one officially sets the rules.
    Oh, Jesus. Of course genres don't exist . They're just a way of telling music apart, mate.
    dark_rider92
    mcfreaki wrote: I'm going to buck the trend here by saying that the first time I heard one of their songs, my balls were thorougly stomped by their awsomeness.
    good man. join the increasingly small crowd of us "we're gonna be smart and say intelligent, witty, non-flaming statements and stand by them" type. props...