All The Hype That Money Can Buy review by Five Iron Frenzy

• Released: Apr 25, 2000
Five Iron Frenzy: All The Hype That Money Can Buy

Ska at its finest. Five Iron Frenzy is one of the best ska-punk bands to have ever hit the music scene, and this is one of the finest albums of their career. The album manages to go beyond the standard poppy punk-ska sound, and enter other musical realms. FIF truly creates a genre of their own with this album. The sound on this album is very good. They did a superb job mixing this record. The standard band and the horn section blend together perfectly to create a vast array of sounds ranging from punk, to '80s metal, and they even manage to throw in a little polka. Throw in a Tom Jones cover and you've got yourself quite a record.

Reese Roper is one of the best songwriters out today. His lyrics are pure poetry, but not to the point where the standard person can no longer relate. They cover topics like life, religion, and morality. And they even manage to keep a sense of humor about it. They attack society's views on politics, values, and even homosexuality. Reese is a defender of the just, and his lyrical style really shines through. He has one of the most recognizable voices in the business, but some may find it to be an acquired taste. Either way, he is a very diverse singer, and can cover a large amount of styles.

This is one of FIF's most elaborate albums, covering many styles, and tackling topics they had yet to touch on. It also introduces another ever-changing style for them. A few stand out tracks are The Greatest Story Ever Told, Ugly Day, World Without End, and the cover of Tom Jone's It's Not Unusual. But of course, the album wouldn't be complete without the '80s tribute song; Phantom Mullet with it's shred solo and '80s style hair metal sound. I actually have lost this record due to letting someone borrow it, but I immediately bought a new one. This is one of my all time favorite albums from one of my all time favorite bands. Though some songs on the album may sound strange at first, they'll grow on you. FIF hasn't made a bad song. I recommend this album to any fan of punk, ska, rock, or just good music.

Coasternerd
    Whoever wrote this got it ALL RIGHT. FIF is truly the stuff of legend and I was privileged enough to be able to go see their last show in Denver which was the bomb. If you listen to the live bonus album that comes with The End Is Near then you can hear me scream in phantom mullet and Cannonball. Anyway this is an amazing band!!!
    thesecondman
    Coasternerd: I envy you from the bottom of my heart. Five iron was great. I miss them a lot. Every day of every month of every year. On a similar note, five iron is stupid