Rumours review by Fleetwood Mac

• Released: Feb 4, 1977
Fleetwood Mac: Rumours

I hadn't really listened to a lot of Fleetwood Mac other than the song "Landslide," before I bought this CD, but after listening to it, I have to say they have some of the best sound around. Every song on the album has music just flowing in all direction. It's very neat and I think that Rumours is on par with other great classic rock albums of that time like, Pink Floyd's "The Wall," The Beatles' "Let It Be," and others. I think this is because of the ongoing conflicts that occurred in the band at the time, especially the fallout of Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks, which caused some awesome music. If it wasn't for Waters and Gilmour's feud, we wouldn't have "The Wall" or the Beatles' slow decline we wouldn't have "Let It Be." Lindsey's acoustic and electric guitars are really the highlights of the album, and I think he can really change styles with his guitar playing, switching from country to rock to a strange ethereal Zeppelin sound. Lindsey also has a very unique voice, which he provides on some of the songs. John McVie provides some very groovy basslines that are really noticeable on all the tracks. Mick Fleetwood has some great drum beats, but I'm not really very knowledgable of the drums, but they sound good to me. Christine McVie plays the keyboards and does a great job at it. She includes her voice on some of the songs and is another great addition. And last, but certainly not least is the wonderful Stevie Nicks. This CD made me a fan of Stevie Nicks. Her wonderful voice really defines the CD and makes every song a masterpiece.

Every song has lyrics contributed by different members of the band and every bandmate has their own distinct style of songwriting. 01. Second Hand News - the first track off the album is written by Lindsey Buckingham. It has a very catchy tune to it and country feel. 02. Dreams - Dreams was a hit single on rock radio stations everywhere. This classic was written by Stevie Nicks and has some of the greatest lyrics of the whole album. 03. Never Going Back Again - this short ballad was also written by Buckingham. It has a nice guitar riff and some definite lyrics. 04. Don't Stop - this is a hard rocking song sung by Buckingham but written by Christine McVie. I think Christine McVie can write some good songs. This song doesn't necessarily sound like Fleetwood Mac but is a great addition. 05. Go Your Own Way - another hit written by Lindsey Buckingham. This has some quiet verses that lead to a rocking chorus. Unlike Don't Stop this song is Fleetwood Mac. Following this, the songs start to mellow. 06. Songbird - a very beautiful ballad written and sung by Christine McVie. It features very stunning lyrics. 07. The Chain - this is one of my personal favorites. This song is actually written by the whole band and sung by most of the band. It has a very cool sound to it. 08. You Make Loving Fun - this is written and sung by Christine McVie. It's another good song, not much else to say. 09. I Don't Want To Know - this is written by Stevie Nicks and features vocals from her and McVie. This has excellent although repetitive lyrics. It sounds a little bit country though. 10. Oh Daddy - this is written and sung by Christine McVie again. I think is the weakest and oddest song on the album but very good when compared to some of their later work. 11. Gold Dust Woman - this is my favorite song by Fleetwood Mac. It's written by Nicks and I don't how to explain it, but it just has a very surreal feel to it and runs to almost 5 minutes. It features haunting and beautiful singing from Nicks and towards the end a great guitar solo by Buckingham. If you're not interested in the CD, at least download or buy this and Dreams.

This is without a doubt, the best Fleetwood Mac album, but that goes without saying. The best tracks are Second Hand News, Dreams, Never Going Back Again, Don't Stop, Go Your Own Way, The Chain, and Gold Dust Woman. I don't why I like it so much it's just a very good CD and I noticed there were no Fleetwood Mac reviews on the website so I did one myself. If it was stolen or lost, I would defenitely buy another one.

j_hunter_hkr
    rockersrkewl
    Classic album! The Classic Albums series has one about this album and it's very interesting.
    Stop Messin'
    Agree 100%
    JimPrenier_11
    Stevie Nicks Sung the lyrics for the Chain with a cold and this was while the band was fallin apart but they really pulled it together
    Zangetsu 101
    Disagreed. I respect Green and all, but Buckingham and Nicks are what made the band for me. Great album btw.
    patrickdenneyto
    Stop Messin' wrote: j_hunter_hkr wrote: Fleetwood Mac without Peter Green is like a car without an engine. God bless you Greeny. Agree 100%
    you suck that is the most rediculous thing i have ever heard i think lindsey buckingham is what made fleetwood mac if it werent for him there would be no rumours, anything after rumours, and most of all no stevie nicks, because mick just wanted lindsey at first but lindsey said he wouldnt join if stevie didnt cahnge of subject, christine mcvie does some incredible vocals in this album songbird is probably one of my all time favorites