Rumours review by Fleetwood Mac

• Released: Feb 4, 1977
Fleetwood Mac: Rumours

I was honestly skeptical at first when I picked this up. I had heard so much about it, I wasn't so sure I would get that into it like some other people I've met. But right when I heard "Second Hand News" transition into "Dreams," I was hooked. Fleetwood Mac's sound is almost pristine on almost every song. The vocals are near perfection, and the songs meld into one great medley of bittersweet Beauty. I now realize why this album dominates the musical spectrum of the 1970's, and why everyone seems to enjoy it. During some songs, "Don't Stop" in particular, I thought, 'Hey! I know this song..'

Albums have to flow. That's a total given. "Rumours" has such wonderful storylines in each of the songs, it's hard not to flow. The album's theme is, essentially, relationships. The raw and bitter lyrics mesh so incredibly with the melodies, and that's all that matters sometimes. It seems to me that each song is delicate, that if something was changed, the whole mood of the piece would be altered. If "Dreams" was changed to an up-tempo "Don't Stop" like song, it almost wouldn't make sense. Thank God that's not how it went down.

Despite my skepticism, "Rumours" is a fantastic album. I honestly am so glad I took the time to listen to whole thing. I wasn't expecting a masterpiece like this. If I had to pick my favorites from the album I would just say, 'listen to the whole thing. You'll love it.' That's what's so good about it. Each song is unique, and they all keep you enthralled. The upbeat, and the sorrowful. The bitter and the weary. The optimistic and the pessimistic. It's all there. In one beautiful package.