Agony review by Fleshgod Apocalypse

• Released: Aug 9, 2011
Fleshgod Apocalypse: Agony

This album entitled, "Agony", is one of the best albums I have ever had the privelage to listen to. Fleshgod Apocalypse definitely out did themselves with this one. By adding a more symphonic tone to their already crushing technical death metal riffs and crushing blast beats, F.G. brings you a journey through epic classical music and some of the best death metal I have ever heard.

The lyrics are absolutely great. This bands previous EP, "Mafia", had lyrical themes about the politics in Italy (The bands origin), and they seemed to have brought some of that influence to "Agony". Considering the lead singer is also the lead guitarist, the singers skills are amazing. The clean vocalist (The bassist) brings a great sound into this album and makes it 10x better.

Right now, this album is one of my "Top 3" albums of the year, and it is Fleshgod Apocalypse's best record thus far. My favorite songs on this 10 track record are "The Imposition", "The Violation", "The Egoism", and "The Oppression". I love this band, and I love that they've brought more symphonic elements to their music. It's good to see a tech. Death metal band out of Italy too which is another plus. If I were to lose this album, I would go out and buy another one because this is a must have album.

Andragon
    serpent_sun
    really good album but the blast beats are too excessive for my tastes and the first few songs completely blend together but Violation and Forsaking are excellent and Egoism just destroys.
    yeloshu
    Well, just listened to The Violation. His blastbeats are pretty freaking intense. I love some orchestra thrown in with metal(specially of the death/grind variety). My only real complaint with the band is that the clean vocalist sounds like he's trying to push a lot higher than he's comfortable. And really, after years of listening to Rhapsody(of Fire), it's hard to hear a classical vocalist in metal and not have ridiculously high standards.
    bokma
    Andragon wrote: Hey Devin Townsend himself says it's ****ing awesome then I'm definitely listening.
    Hahah Thhis is the same reason why I checked these guys out.
    Hail
    Doesn't make sense how an underground symphonic brutal death metal band has people trying to be 'nonconformists'. The wonders of UG. The song writing on this album is just insane. I heard it when it got leaked a few weeks back and listened to it every day until I could buy the physical CD. This is one of those albums you just have to sit back and listen straight through to really appreciate the intricacy of the songwriting, I think. Fantastic album from a fantastic band.
    z4twenny
    i listened to this album based on this review and while it might be good, the version im listening to has the drums cranked so loud its hard to hear the other instruments under it. i know thats common in death metal but its a little much on what im hearing.
    RCAlbright
    Bought this album yesterday, and I'm in love with it. I'm so glad that Nuclear Blast didn't make them change their sound. This is definitely their best work! 10/10
    Etsed Jayel
    This is one of the bands that make me proud to be Italian! The album is A W E S O M E ! ! !
    Magero
    Meh. Unimpressed. Without the string sections this would just be another boring brutal death metal band, and with them, it just feels tacky. Their progression over the years has been from "boring death metal broken up by unrelated string sectons" and now both are happening at the same time... I just don't buy into the hype.
    StewieSwan
    Sweet band, but I have a hard time getting over how blatantly they rip composers off.
    LethalTomato
    Slaytan666 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: BLARRRRRGH, dundudnundundundundundundundundundundundundundundundundudnd (shredshredshred) (epic tenor vox) This made my afternoon..
    Me also
    strat07
    THIS IS AN AMAZING ALBUM! 9/10 I feel honored to lay my ears upon it!
    Cheeselord
    what an awful album, some of the most boring and generic riffs I've ever heard. The symphonic bits are horrible, both the clean and harsh vocals suck, and the drumming is incredibly bland. If you really want a decent symphonic DM album listen to septicflesh's new release
    taylorhindman
    I have heard mixed things about this so I don't know but one thing it for sure, the new logo sucks.
    eljono123
    lmao. I saw this name and then looked them up on youtube. I have no idea how people listen to this nonsense. wow. he plays the drums fast. too bad the music is absolute garbage. I'd rather listen to a dog puking.
    eljono123
    brad_butcher wrote: too bad death metal is ****ing talentless garbage
    i want to marry your opinion.
    HardAttack
    Sounds like Dimmu Borgir with the drummer sped up 3x. lol Wasn't overly impressed with their single for this album that's on YouTube as the drums tend to dominate everything else. There's some good composing in there somewhere, but I think the drummer needs to take some Ambien or something so he can calm down and keep a slightly slower byt steady beat.
    Loki_37
    AAAGGGHHHH Fleshgod Apocalypse! I don't understand the hate these guys get compared to other Death Metal...Are they...They aren't...Mainstream...??
    7StringsOfCool
    Hey everyone. I just wanted to say i'm obviously not good at writing reviews, but hey! I just wanted to do this for fun not, get bashed. Don't let my half of a review stop you from checking these guys out.
    ant_smusher
    Review wasn't that great, but he DID get the idea across that this is, and more than likely to the end of the year, the best album of the year. I can't stop listening to it! i wake up with the end of The Deceit in my head, blending into The Violation. That's one of the greatest sounding song-to-song mixing i've heard in a while, EPIC!
    krvolok
    Somebody onece sent me a link to a Fleshgod Apocalypse song,never did recover from that...
    EpiExplorer
    BLARRRRRGH, dundudnundundundundundundundundundundundundundundundundudnd (shredshredshred) (epic tenor vox) I wish it would come out sooner, 'The Violation' is an amazing song.
    emaxwelkooti
    Helpful or unhelpful review, I totally love this album and bought it the second it was released. More classical elements than the two previous albums (most songs have orchestra throughout). The riffs are heavy and brutal as you would expect. I love it to death. FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE!
    that guy Strife
    brad_butcher wrote: too bad death metal is ****ing talentless garbage
    Looks like someone's got a sore ass. Does Daddy abuse you to the sound of metal ? That'd be a reason to blindly hate. Reviewer: if you can't write, don't bother. Privelage ? With auto-correction everywhere ? Poor review, disc's okay though.
    beneharris
    jetfuel495 wrote: *blastbeats*
    thats my one complaint with it, to much of the same drumming. AMAZING album though
    Raven_Flight
    Amazing album and bad review. My complaint is the lack of riffs, guitar is just a backup for the excessive use of orchestra. My fav one on this album is "The Hypocrisy"
    Peres.T.Peanut
    This is their worst album. Too many keyboards, weaker solos and weaker riffs. The drums could use a litle less blastbeats also. Can't give it more than 7/10, but giving it less wouldn't be fair either.
    EpiExplorer
    eljono123 wrote: brad_butcher wrote: too bad death metal is ****ing talentless garbage i want to marry your opinion.
    'If you just cannot feel it, you'll never understand, nothing's gonna beat it, Metal rules the land' ~Kai Hansen
    SomaticalEntity
    i just saw these guys for the first time last week at summer slaughter in louisville ky and the drummer was a beast! the stupid sound guys had the keys up too loud though and we couldn't hear the guitars that much :/
    Slaytan666