Agony review by Fleshgod Apocalypse

• Released: Aug 9, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Fleshgod Apocalypse: Agony

Okay. Let's start by the very first song, "Temptation". Primarily, it sounded a lot (to my ears) like games/movies soundtrack; Some "random" sounds (if I can put in that way), orchestrated instrumental, deep vocals and basically it. Then, the second song, mixes Death Metal with technical riffs, extremely fast drums with double bass, gutturals, and... More orchestrated thing. Dude, seriously, it's so dirty you can't even identify what you're listening to, it's just a thousand of mixed instruments at 250 BPM. It's very emotionless too; Personally I did not feel anything listening to this, and honestly, I'm very disappointed with this album, I was looking forward good death metal music. Nevertheless, it would be awesome if they could just mix Technical Death Metal riffs with piano, and just a little bit of orchestra itself. Although it doesn't please me at all, I shall give some credits for the extremely expert and fast riffs. And also the classical instrumental and the (rare) clean vocals, which are extremely awesome. This album had everything to be a great album, but somehow they ruined it.

Italy (the country they're from) politic, and that's all. No personal experiences, no love, pain, sadness, joy, anything. The lyrics are in English though, and it's sang using guttural (if you don't know it, it's a vocal technique similar to a scream, but really low). That kinda fits the music (obviously, soon as it is death metal) and there's also clean vocals, which are just terrific.

"Oracles" (their first album) and even the EP "Mafia", are way better than this one. Why? Because the orchestrated stuff completely ruined the brutality of epic riffs and drums, and even the nice vocals. Definitely they're good as musicians, but they couldn't handle the musical production on this one with the classical instrumental. It sounds really dirty, you can't distinguish the instruments, what makes the music really uncomfortable to listen to. Once again, this material definitely had potential but they did not use it, what is a shame. If you want a good Fleshgod Apocalypse's album, stay with "Oracles", and if you like this one, give a try to this one.