Agony review by Fleshgod Apocalypse

• Released: Aug 9, 2011
Fleshgod Apocalypse: Agony

Fleshgod Apocalypse's first album "Mafia" combined a classical orcheastra music with super fast riffing and drumming. Since that release, the band has put more effort into combining the classical symphonic sound with the brutal death metal tones, and I'd say that "Agony" is a perfect symbiosis of the two genres. From the first track, "Temptation", which is epic symphony music that you would expect to hear in a war movie before a big battle, that builds up into the next track "The Hypocrisy". All of the songs (besides the last bonus track, "heartwork") flow together into one big amazing piece of SymphDeath (that's what we like to call it). What really impressed me with the whole album was how the band is able to get really good melodies with the orchaestra sounds and still have blazingly fast riffs and drumming that is out of this world. I never thought that it would be possible to combine two genres as different as classical orchaestra/symphony and death metal, but I can proudly say that Fleshgod Apocalypse has achieved that goal.

So I've read from other reviews that the lyrics are all about politics, but I don't know how people found that out since there are NO lyrics in the booklet that comes with the CD. All they give are the song names, and then a definition of the word. Its really weird but at least its different. Fleshgod Apocalypse has two singers, one for the growls and heavy stuff and the bassist who does the clean vocals. "The Violation", which is by far the best song on the album IMO, is mostly the heavy vocals during the really fast heavy parts, and then the clean vocals come in and its like going to a whole different world. They transition from the heavy to the clean and it just sounds amazing and it really just knocks you off your feet when you hear how high the clean vocalist can get.

I have never heard another band who has combined two distinctly different genres of music together like Fleshgod Apocalypse has. They are the only band that comes to mind that has done anything with both orchaestra/symphony and death metal like this. It really has to be heard to understand it and see just how good of a job they have done with it. My favorite song on the album by far is "The Violation". It starts off with the orchaestra playing a really soft yet heavy build up to the song and then BOOM! It just starts heavy as F***! It gives me chills everytime. All of there songs are very good and have a good mix of the orchestra and the death metal, but "The Violation" is the most stand out one on the whole album to me. I honestly like everything about this album. Its long, its original, its heavy, its everything a metal head looks for in music. If it where lost or stolen I would definitely go out and buy another copy.

matt360
    i love this album a lot BUT i still think oracles was better as good as this album was, HUGE lack of riffs and solos, and really repetitive drumming. every song sounds practically the same upon first listening of the album. oh and not to mention how much better the production of oracles is
    kingalexander61
    RAGERAGERAGE Oh no! The br00t4l guitars aren't in the fore front and everything is mixed pretty evenly in this album(besides the vocals and drums in the fore front, but that's standard). It really annoys me when people hate a symphonic album because they can't hear the guitars as well as in prior albums with less symphonic elements. This has obviously been where they've been heading, if you want pure death metal then listen to a different band and move on. Don't give a band a shitty review because they aren't playing the exact style that you want them to, and don't compare for science's sake. If you're going to review albums, then treat them as individual pieces of art(which is what they are.)