Labyrinth review by Fleshgod Apocalypse

• Released: Aug 16, 2013
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Fleshgod Apocalypse: Labyrinth

We have a lot to be grateful to Italy for. It gave us the language of music, the medium of opera, Verdi, Vivaldi and Morricone. Although technical death metal is sometimes revered as the modern incarnation of classical excellence by Cheeto-dusted guitar nerds ("dude, Shostakovich would have loved Necrophagist!"), very few musicians from this elite nation seem to have taken up the mantle. Fleshgod Apocalypse are one such band, and they're keen to work their heritage into the chaos. String sections follow their scale runs, operatic wails pierce their blastbeats and, very occasionally, the orchestral palette is so broad you get the impression you're not even listening to a death metal record at all. Italians with command over a choir must be too graceful for that kind of thing.

After sophomore effort "Agony," which sacrificed a degree of technicality to fully blood the classical elements, third album "Labyrinth" is the band's most ambitious to date. It offers the complete picture of symphonic pomposity and a restored arsenal of hyperspeed riffs. Violins work at blistering pace to keep up with the high tempo and demanding guitar parts, while the tougher end of the mix is filled with your usual kick pedal, tremolo picking and guttural belch. It's incredibly difficult to keep up with at times ("Elegy" and "Warpledge" find themselves more interrupted by the orchestra than enhanced) but if the idea is to challenge the listener than Fleshgod have succeeded. The pace is uncompromising and at times tiring.

Unlike most death metal the melodies are largely diatonic, conforming to traditional rules of harmony in compromise for breaking all the rules of genre. They're too fast to sing, however, and a lack of chromatic bite leaves the likes of "Epilogue" and "The Fall of Asterion" without many distinguishing features. The band seem aware that complexity of playing is no substitute for depth of texture, but there is no producer in the world who can make each of these instruments loud enough to hear without losing the power of the work.

Unlike "Agony" and "Oracles" before it, "Labyrinth" is a concept album about you guessed it the Minotaur's labyrinth. It's a fairly complex story, and without a copy of the lyrics the exceptionally busy guitar racket will leave you stranded. The range of voices, which includes low gurgles, shrill falsettos and full four-part chorus, don't help matters, but with the booklet in front of you this can be quite the adventure. Fans of a geeky persuasion will be thrilled to yell "GODS! KILL THE KING!" as they rock out in their bedrooms. The album strikes just the right balance of mythological substance and aggressive metal style.

A great virtue shared by some of the Italian maestros was their eye for beauty from unlikely sources. Even they would have struggled to make much of death metal. Sophisticated as Fleshgod Apocalypse's understanding and application of the aesthetics may be, the simple fact is that the fundamental elements of death metal will always reduce classical music to an accessory, even a novelty. It simply shouts too loudly. "Labyrinth" may be a more complete realisation of this hybrid than anything that has come before it, but it is not a miraculous proof of its worth as high art. This is an album to show people as an example of intelligence and diligence, but not the essence of great music or great heavy metal.

Oli_
    "...there is no producer in the world who can make each of these instruments loud enough to hear without losing the power of the work." I bet Devin Townsend could.
    jaybrink10101
    My God, I discovered Devin about a month ago and I have listened to next to nothing else since (but bear in mind, when you have, what, 20 albums, there's no real repetition). The man is a genius.
    Cavalcade
    "...but there is no producer in the world who can make each of these instruments loud enough to hear without losing the power of the work." They damn well tried, though, which is why the mastering is so awful.
    ozzy.smith.10
    I've never listened to this band before and from the two songs posted up there it sounds like a pretty sick album!
    Tap Master
    I'm surprised at the amount of mixed opinions this album. Personally, I think it is twice as good as Agony, and I think each song is expertly crafted
    The Spoon
    I gotta say, this UG review was written a lot better than most of the UG reviews I've been reading lately.
    Morphogenesis26
    Jesus, this album is just too much. There's way too many things going on all at once and it just sounds like a giant wall of noodling. The actual Metal riffs are really pathetic and the orchestra, while somewhat neat, is difficult to hear and get the full effect of. I didn't care for their other work, but I just can't listen to this one.
    BwareDWare94
    Towards the Sun? Towards...Jesus. Sorry, that's one of my English nerd pet peeves, adding that unnecessary "s." Even if it is now a word, it just sounds bad.
    Countsluggo
    Deathcore with more complicated stuff going around in the background of uninteresting guitar riffs.
    crazysam23_Atax
    So, uh, technical noodling meets Nightwish-style (read: simplistic) Metal riffs with orchestration? No thanks. It's like they went, "What are some basic riffs we can noodle like crazy over? Oh, and let's throw some strings and a 4-part chorus in there! "And screw chromatic notes, guys!"
    Bananaman1jovan
    definately interesting, just not my thing I guess. Still the two songs are exhilarating at times.
    Iommianity
    Whenever I see a band with symphonic elements, the litmus test is whether the music would be as interesting without them. Granted, music that's written with orchestration in mind might suffer without it, but that shouldn't be the case in death metal. That's basically why I can't get into these guys. The death metal isn't all that interesting, and on those grounds everything else is icing on a cake I don't want.
    Cavalcade
    If it would still be as interesting without those elements, why add them?
    Iommianity
    The same reason why people add seasonings, toppings, or extra ingredients in a recipe. They're to augment what's already there. You probably wouldn't eat a cake that's all icing, but that doesn't mean that icing can't make a good cake better. That's probably a poor metaphor, but I hope that makes sense. You can write an interesting song with a simple chord progression, strummed on an acoustic guitar. Anything you add is orchestration, and it's to embellish what's already there.
    legendaryjj10
    What if the music is written around the orchestra and the metal is the icing on the cake?