I Told You I Was Freaky review by Flight of the Conchords

• Released: Oct 20, 2009
Flight of the Conchords: I Told You I Was Freaky

By now, most of you should know Flight of the Conchords. Whether by their radio show, live shows, TV show, or maybe their last album, The Conchords have become quite popular. Being a fan of their live songs, I was glad to hear about a tv show based around the band. When I finally saw the show though, I was kind of disappointed by what had become of the songs. The songs that had you laughing at every other line had suddenly become kind of serious. Half of the songs from the first season's CD probably wouldn't be as funny without seeing them performed live, or the episode it came from. I think what made the second season work (at least for me) was the fresh batch of songs. For the second season, Bret and Jemaine had to sit down and write new songs, with no old songs to reuse. I think writing the songs this way turned out to be a good move: with the new songs being completely varied, with no two sounding alike (which I think the first album kind of suffered from). On this album they have rap (album opener Hurt Feelings), R&B (We're Both In Love With a Sexy Lady, a blatant parody of R. Kelly and Usher's Same Girl), reggae (You Don't Have to be a Prostitute, a Police parody) and list goes on, with each song having something to stand out from the rest.

Oh the lyrics... The real reason we're listening, the only reason we keep listening to the Conchords. The lyrics do what they're meant to do, make you laugh, and they do it well. Whether the songs are about friendship, hurt feelings, fashion, "sugalumps" (testicles, if you don't know yet), or Jemaine's ex girlfriends, and how conveniently their names rhyme with how they left him. If you already know the band, you know how their lyrics are completely original, either being about something nobody's written songs about before, or using a topic like friends, and write a song nobody else could write.

I Told You I Was Freaky is a definite step up from the first season. They chose the best songs (many have complained about the last album not having the best choice in songs), although it could be that many of the other songs would not translate so well without the sight aspect. It's hard to choose a favourite song from the album, but I will say that I think my least favourites would have to be I Told You I Was Freaky, Angels, and Demon Woman. Although it seems the duo can write well under pressure, I hope they hold off on a third season (like they said they would) so they can focus on their musical aspect, giving them more time to tour, and more time to write new songs. If they can write these songs in less than 2 years, I'd like to see what they can do when they're not under pressure for new music.

grunger
    pyritmann wrote: how can you give a comedy band like this a 9.3? think of your favorite album ever and that shouldn't get a 9.3. i think its important to note in a review that this group is very non- musical, they are a comedy group and not really talented musicians.
    dude, listen to their songs, listen to the diversity, chords, melody and vocal melody, and the amount of experimentation in their songs. they ****en pwn.
    lefty311
    Panasonic3
    Nothingface
    Panasonic3 : lefty311 wrote: Season 2 was wonderful... Great highlights were when Kristen Wiig and Jim Gaffigan made guest appearances. I like how you say the best part was when the main guys aren't the focus. Good review though. If I am sad and need be glad, I'll know where to look.
    Not Sure that was what he meant. Anyway these guys crack me up I will have to look at this.
    benonbass1
    I prefered their first album, but I can't wait to listen to this one (I heard the songs on the shows). Also, not all of these are new, they had been gigging some for a fair while. Petrov, Yelena and me was the first song they ever performed on television!
    pyritmann
    Lrn2play
    ...what?
    heavyairship
    actually their quite talented musicaly. i didnt like this season as much as the first but its still much better than any other comedy show out there.
    Idiot_Son
    just for the record, they are not doing a third season. the second season ended with them being deported. and bret has said he wants to get back to his old band The Black Seeds, while Jemaine is focusing on acting
    El-Con_Jester
    although i do like this album, I do agree that the show's first album had many more catchy songs.
    thrash-it-up
    i think the series 1 tv show was better, but i think this album is possibly a bit better