I Told You I Was Freaky review by Flight of the Conchords

• Released: Oct 20, 2009
Flight of the Conchords: I Told You I Was Freaky

Flight Of The Conchords are a comedy, folk, rap, basically any genre under the sun band. The main attraction to their songs are their lyrics, but I will get into them later. It is important to know that Flight Of The Conchords is made of only 2 members, Brett McKenzie and Jemaine Clement. Although they do feature some people on songs, such as Arj Barker, Kriten Schaal, David Costabile and Rhys Darby, who are actors on the show Flight Of The Conchords, which is based around the band. Enough info, on to the judgement. I think that the pure diversity of the music on the album, makes it shine. The album includes "You Don't Have To Be A Prostitute" which is a straight up Ska/Reggae song and also includes "Hurt Feelings" which is an upbeat rap song. This proves the diversity of the music on the album. Other types of songs on the album include: - Acepela ("Friends") - Rock ("Demon Woman") - Techno ("Too Many Dicks (On The Dance Floor)") and so on... Although I will state that not many of the songs are very technically demanding, in terms of instrumentation. Also most of the drumming and percussion on the album are made by drum machines, with few exceptances.

Now, the main attraction to FOTC, the lyrics. I personally, along with many other people who have heard Flight Of The Conchords, think that the lyrics are absolutely hilarious. For example from "Hurt Feelings": "It's my birthday 2003 Waiting for a call from my family They forgot about me I got hurt feelings, I got hurt feelings The day after my birthday is not my birthday, mum." They can truely paint a picture of the situation they are trying to convey, in your mind. We can visualize a sad adult waiting for a birthday call from his mom, instead of partying and even sadder yet, not receiving one. Some of the weirdest lyrics on the album can be heard in the song "Angels". The music in the song is very peaceful and calming. As you listen to the lyrics, you realize that the song, that was portrayed as holy, begins to be about angels doing the nasty. "There are angels In the clouds Doin' it." The only song that I find lacks in lyrical content is "Fashion Is Danger", but I still love that song to death because the music is funky and it's really catchy. I don't think I'm able to name a better comedy musical act that is funnier than Flight Of The Conchords and that includes Weird Al and Lonely Island.

It is hard to compare this album to other albums, except their other album titled "Flight Of The Conchords". In my opinion, "I Told You I Was Freaky" is better than their self titled, but their self titled is still a great album. This is one of the first albums I choose when going for a car drive, mostly because of how different all the songs are. Also, fun fact 1: a poster came with the album, of the album cover on one side and a shot of them doing sound check at a performance, from behind, on the other. And Fun Fact 2: They include the chords with the lyrics inside the lyric booklet! So you can jam with the songs and you don't even need to go on UG to find the chords... Oops I'm submiting this to UG aren't I? Well I mean you probably should still check on UG to make sure the chords are right... Heh.