I Told You I Was Freaky Review

Flight of the Conchords: I Told You I Was Freaky
Released: Oct 20, 2009
Genre: Comedy Rock / Anti-Folk
Label: Sub Pop
I Told You I Was Freaky is a definite step up from the first season. They chose the best songs.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 8.6
 8.8
 8.3
I Told You I Was Freaky Reviewed by: Zao_89, on october 26, 2009

Sound: By now, most of you should know Flight of the Conchords. Whether by their radio show, live shows, TV show, or maybe their last album, The Conchords have become quite popular. Being a fan of their live songs, I was glad to hear about a tv show based around the band. When I finally saw the show though, I was kind of disappointed by what had become of the songs. The songs that had you laughing at every other line had suddenly become kind of serious. Half of the songs from the first season's CD probably wouldn't be as funny without seeing them performed live, or the episode it came from. I think what made the second season work (at least for me) was the fresh batch of songs. For the second season, Bret and Jemaine had to sit down and write new songs, with no old songs to reuse. I think writing the songs this way turned out to be a good move: with the new songs being completely varied, with no two sounding alike (which I think the first album kind of suffered from). On this album they have rap (album opener Hurt Feelings), R&B (We're Both In Love With a Sexy Lady, a blatant parody of R. Kelly and Usher's Same Girl), reggae (You Don't Have to be a Prostitute, a Police parody) and list goes on, with each song having something to stand out from the rest. // 9

Lyrics: Oh the lyrics... The real reason we're listening, the only reason we keep listening to the Conchords. The lyrics do what they're meant to do, make you laugh, and they do it well. Whether the songs are about friendship, hurt feelings, fashion, "sugalumps" (testicles, if you don't know yet), or Jemaine's ex girlfriends, and how conveniently their names rhyme with how they left him. If you already know the band, you know how their lyrics are completely original, either being about something nobody's written songs about before, or using a topic like friends, and write a song nobody else could write. // 10

Overall Impression: I Told You I Was Freaky is a definite step up from the first season. They chose the best songs (many have complained about the last album not having the best choice in songs), although it could be that many of the other songs would not translate so well without the sight aspect. It's hard to choose a favourite song from the album, but I will say that I think my least favourites would have to be I Told You I Was Freaky, Angels, and Demon Woman. Although it seems the duo can write well under pressure, I hope they hold off on a third season (like they said they would) so they can focus on their musical aspect, giving them more time to tour, and more time to write new songs. If they can write these songs in less than 2 years, I'd like to see what they can do when they're not under pressure for new music. // 9

I Told You I Was Freaky Reviewed by: arnolddrummer, on november 08, 2011

Sound: Flight Of The Conchords are a comedy, folk, rap, basically any genre under the sun band. The main attraction to their songs are their lyrics, but I will get into them later. It is important to know that Flight Of The Conchords is made of only 2 members, Brett McKenzie and Jemaine Clement. Although they do feature some people on songs, such as Arj Barker, Kriten Schaal, David Costabile and Rhys Darby, who are actors on the show Flight Of The Conchords, which is based around the band. Enough info, on to the judgement. I think that the pure diversity of the music on the album, makes it shine. The album includes "You Don't Have To Be A Prostitute" which is a straight up Ska/Reggae song and also includes "Hurt Feelings" which is an upbeat rap song. This proves the diversity of the music on the album. Other types of songs on the album include: - Acepela ("Friends") - Rock ("Demon Woman") - Techno ("Too Many Dicks (On The Dance Floor)") and so on... Although I will state that not many of the songs are very technically demanding, in terms of instrumentation. Also most of the drumming and percussion on the album are made by drum machines, with few exceptances. // 7

Lyrics: Now, the main attraction to FOTC, the lyrics. I personally, along with many other people who have heard Flight Of The Conchords, think that the lyrics are absolutely hilarious. For example from "Hurt Feelings": "It's my birthday 2003 Waiting for a call from my family They forgot about me I got hurt feelings, I got hurt feelings The day after my birthday is not my birthday, mum." They can truely paint a picture of the situation they are trying to convey, in your mind. We can visualize a sad adult waiting for a birthday call from his mom, instead of partying and even sadder yet, not receiving one. Some of the weirdest lyrics on the album can be heard in the song "Angels". The music in the song is very peaceful and calming. As you listen to the lyrics, you realize that the song, that was portrayed as holy, begins to be about angels doing the nasty. "There are angels In the clouds Doin' it." The only song that I find lacks in lyrical content is "Fashion Is Danger", but I still love that song to death because the music is funky and it's really catchy. I don't think I'm able to name a better comedy musical act that is funnier than Flight Of The Conchords and that includes Weird Al and Lonely Island. // 9

Overall Impression: It is hard to compare this album to other albums, except their other album titled "Flight Of The Conchords". In my opinion, "I Told You I Was Freaky" is better than their self titled, but their self titled is still a great album. This is one of the first albums I choose when going for a car drive, mostly because of how different all the songs are. Also, fun fact 1: a poster came with the album, of the album cover on one side and a shot of them doing sound check at a performance, from behind, on the other. And Fun Fact 2: They include the chords with the lyrics inside the lyric booklet! So you can jam with the songs and you don't even need to go on UG to find the chords... Oops I'm submiting this to UG aren't I? Well I mean you probably should still check on UG to make sure the chords are right... Heh. // 9

Comments