Fight With Tools review by Flobots

• Released: Sep 30, 2007
Flobots: Fight With Tools

The sound of a guitar, trumpet, Johnny 5 pretty much talking/rapping, and a boatload of other suff.. Suprisingly it mixes into quite an amazing sound. It has a lot of flow and lots of clever uses of the instruments they have. Plus, who doesn't enjoy a great trumpet solo? Only bad thing is that it seems like the singers talk through most of it and don't really sing. It reminds me of CAKE. But don't get me wrong, it sounds pretty good a lot of the times. Although it just doesn't satisfy your need for a good strong voice. It seems like they try to stay safe and not use the vocals to their true potential. I rambled a bit. In a nutshell: It sounds bitchin' but the talking can get a little boring.

The lyrics have got to be one of the main reasons I bought this CD. I'd only heard "Handlebars" so I didn't know what to expect. The lyrics are all awesome, actually! They all have a powerful message and they've got great metaphors. A big plus for this album.

Like I said before this sounds so much like Cake. Johnny 5 sounds exactly like John McCrea. That isn't a bad thing at all! The lyrics are completely different from Cake and Flobots has a lot less instruments. Either way, it's a great album. If I lost it I'd probably buy it again. I've gotten a new addition to my favorite list of albums!

daytripper75
    this cd isn't amazing, but it is definitely good. they lyrics aren't always very creative, but they work. i think the music itself it pretty good. i'm interested to see what their next album is like. they have some serious potential.
    Alex101
    "I can ride my bike with no handlebars, no handlebars, no handlebars" It's a good song.
    A6StringWorld
    The UG team bashed this album, "The vocals are over the top in being melodramatic..." The lyrics aren't over the top! When you write a song about something that moves you you get into it and feel passion about that topic! Good review, i just have differant opinions and thought the lyrical side was their best attribute in the album.