Float review by Flogging Molly

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Mar 4, 2008
  • Sound: 6
  • Lyrics: 7
  • Overall Impression: 7
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
  • Users' score: 8.4 (38 votes)
Flogging Molly: Float
0

Sound — 6
Blasting into an Irish-themed, whiskey-scented intro, we begin this blasting album with high expectations. There's a government whip cracked across your back! Flogging Molly meets your formerly mentioned expectations with this brand spanking new rock and roll album that will leave you feeling like fighting the government and starting fist battles of epic proportions in the nearest pub. History running amok in this album like the tunes of iLiKETRAiNS, this upbeat introduction entitled Requiem For A Dying Song shows you how this album's going to beat you up. Right through the excitement of this tune, in comes a more aggressive song, Paddy's Lament. Dave King manages to be cruel in this tune, and already you can see this album being precisely what a Flogging Molly fan needs. It's sharp and lyrically subversive, rebellious and electric. Paddy's Lament is fast-moving and ends at a perfect time - Right before you expect it to wear on thin, you enjoy the close. In comes a voice speaking one, two... The title track of this easily fantastic album opens with an acoustic guitar on your left, the production of this song building in quite a bit of suspense as different Irish instruments kick into the mix. As talented as this is in terms of composition, it weakens in strength unexpectedly as you wait for something more titillating to fill you. This happens, though it doesn't come off as strong as you'd expect. A decent track, though unfortunately undeserving of any strong compliment. As the guitar near the end of that last track fades out, in comes blasting a loud riff that shatters through your spine like a jackhammer, a voice shouting out his arguments towards the world, like a hero in the storm of a ship stricken by the rot of the salty winds of sea. A very visual song, and if you have any to be mustered, this one will stir the Irish blood in you. This song, named You Won't Make A Fool Out Of Me, makes use of prominent arpeggiation in reference to the more classical instruments, while the electric guitar feels more like an instrument of rhythm. At that, it ends a little abruptly for my taste, and, though still keeping in tune with the album, it's not perfect. Lightning Storm. This next track visualizes within you what the title says. Rattling through the song are fiddles to adore and acoustics which will make your soul bleed to feel the character speaking to you. Perhaps the best song on the album, next to Requiem For A Dying Song. If there's any song on this album that I'd much prefer wouldn't be on it, it's this next poorly placed one. The recording's a little shabby, as the bass of the vocals that begin Punch Drunk Grinning Soul are put on a high priority. I couldn't say that this song is as well-composed as it should be, and I would've figured Flogging Molly could've done a little better. Us Of Lesser Gods, this is the name of this next song, which bores me wholly and all over until very late in the song. It's unfortunate that the album is getting increasingly worse as it progresses, but that might very well be my opinion. Definitely an archaic song, but too much so to be really appreciated. In here comes Between A Man And A Woman, which still accentuates my point that this album is getting progressively worse. I'm sorry, but I hate this song. The beginning of this album makes up for the rest of this selection of songs, but it's too bad that only a few individual songs are really worth the purchase.

Lyrics — 7
I'll say the lyrics and vocals are nothing different from the rest of Flogging Molly's discography, and will not surprise you at all. Keep these facts in mind when you purchase. Indeed, while talented they are at writing the same song over and over again, like DragonForce, it's not really worth discussing. A seven for "apathy ratings."

Overall Impression — 7
I suppose I'll be forced to say that the entirety of this can be described as Recycled, though perhaps that might be a bit mean. It's not perfect, nowhere near, but, if you have the money, it's not going to hurt to give it a try. Though, if you're new to this group's albums, it might be better just to stick to their earlier stuff.

24 comments sorted by best / new / date

    obrin
    After the first listen I only really liked a couple songs on the C.D...but I've had a couple days to listen more and I must say that now I find myself singing almost every song! The reviewer is a little biased, and I think needs to give it some more time, and maybe an open mind. I am a punk first and foremost, and while yes each song on the album isn't packed full of energy, the songs have a strange way of sticking in your head. Cheers to Flogging Molly! 9/10
    HotDogs1
    oh and just because some lame music magazine gave it a good review i guess that means you conform to their opinions then? did anyone know that rolling stone wrote off nirvana's nevermind when it first came out and now they praise nirvana.
    HotDogs1
    facts
    Justin27 wrote: So as long as Flogging Molly doesn't mature at all and continues to shug along in their Irish-punk fashion, you all are happy, right? Get a grip. This is FM's (who isn't actually a "punk" band, mind you) most mature release yet, and it obviously derives more from Dave King's Irish influences than his punk influences (Dave has said that even just recording the album in Ireland made a huge difference). The songs on this album are every bit as good as on the previous three, even if they aren't as heavy and energetic. "The Lightning Storm" is perfection, sheer perfection, and there's a reason that Alternative Press called this album "One of the most important albums of the year...if not the decade." Just because a few "fans" have written off the album for not being EXACTLY what they expected, that doesn't make the album any less remarkable. Don't fall into the trap, FM fans.
    why is everyone acting like their opinions are facts, you liked the album then? good for you i thought it was mediocre compared to their other albums that doesn't make it true though everyone likes different things.
    pattyslament
    This is a review that I just simply can not agree with. The tracks that were labeled as weak by the author of this commentary just can't seem to appreciate the subtle intricacies that are worked into every Flogging Molly album. The fact that he points out the title track Float as being weak is completely not true. One of the most important facts you must remember when listening to this band is the composition and orchestration that go into every song. On a scale of one to ten I would give Float an easy ten.
    afterimage2112
    "The beginning of this album makes up for the rest of this selection of songs, but it's too bad that only a few individual songs are really worth the purchase." BULL SHIT
    afterimage2112
    i dissagree you have to see them live to really appreciate the energy and enthusiam that they put into thier music
    salton4
    Justin27 wrote: So as long as Flogging Molly doesn't mature at all and continues to shug along in their Irish-punk fashion, you all are happy, right? Get a grip. This is FM's (who isn't actually a "punk" band, mind you) most mature release yet, and it obviously derives more from Dave King's Irish influences than his punk influences (Dave has said that even just recording the album in Ireland made a huge difference). The songs on this album are every bit as good as on the previous three, even if they aren't as heavy and energetic. "The Lightning Storm" is perfection, sheer perfection, and there's a reason that Alternative Press called this album "One of the most important albums of the year...if not the decade." Just because a few "fans" have written off the album for not being EXACTLY what they expected, that doesn't make the album any less remarkable. Don't fall into the trap, FM fans.
    thank you for that comment! that pretty much somes up my thoughts, and what was going to say! once again, thank you very much!
    daytripper75
    i'll admit i was expecting something more along the lines of their first 3 studio albums. still, i really enjoy this album. after Within A Mile of Home i could tell they were starting to lean towards a more mature sound. i think its what they needed to do. they can only go with the upbeat, loud, punk sound for so long before it gets worn out. i think this album has a very good balance between the fast paced songs, and the medium to slower paced songs. dont give it one listen and toss it aside. its the kind of album that you need to listen to at least 3-4 times until you really start to appreciate it.
    Justin27
    So as long as Flogging Molly doesn't mature at all and continues to shug along in their Irish-punk fashion, you all are happy, right? Get a grip. This is FM's (who isn't actually a "punk" band, mind you) most mature release yet, and it obviously derives more from Dave King's Irish influences than his punk influences (Dave has said that even just recording the album in Ireland made a huge difference). The songs on this album are every bit as good as on the previous three, even if they aren't as heavy and energetic. "The Lightning Storm" is perfection, sheer perfection, and there's a reason that Alternative Press called this album "One of the most important albums of the year...if not the decade." Just because a few "fans" have written off the album for not being EXACTLY what they expected, that doesn't make the album any less remarkable. Don't fall into the trap, FM fans.
    derytki
    the album lacks the punk sound that got me into flogging molly, it's ok if you like slower songs but it wit's a disappoinment
    justpucky
    You can listen to the tracks on their myspace page, and I'd have to agree. A couple of really good songs you'd expect from flogging molly, then a few that just fall flat.
    Raphael Faunus
    Vrstone87 wrote: The album lacks some of the energy but they sure as **** didn't lack any energy on stage tonight.....greatest ****ing live band on earth. end of story.
    Ah, good idea. I'm going to see if they're coming to Arizona soon. I'm seeing Portugal. The Man this month, so...
    Vrstone87
    The album lacks some of the energy but they sure as **** didn't lack any energy on stage tonight.....greatest ****ing live band on earth. end of story.
    Raphael Faunus
    seventyXseven wrote: Raphael Faunus wrote: Y0UNGBL00D wrote: learn to write, but i agree. I, uh, hate editing... And also, it's just a fun little hobby. Never took much care of the results anyway. I can see that at least my opinion isn't absolutely despised, according to the commentators. If you aren't going to care about a review. Here's an idea...don't write them.
    Why not? I'm not looking out for you guys. I'm writing and publishing because -I- want to.
    seventyXseven
    Raphael Faunus wrote: Y0UNGBL00D wrote: learn to write, but i agree. I, uh, hate editing... And also, it's just a fun little hobby. Never took much care of the results anyway. I can see that at least my opinion isn't absolutely despised, according to the commentators.
    If you aren't going to care about a review. Here's an idea...don't write them.
    Raphael Faunus
    Y0UNGBL00D wrote: learn to write, but i agree.
    I, uh, hate editing... And also, it's just a fun little hobby. Never took much care of the results anyway. I can see that at least my opinion isn't absolutely despised, according to the commentators.
    Dnalrafcmb3
    catalyst329 wrote: Tts a solid album but what makes it worse than all the other FM albums is that it lacks alot of the energy that the first three had.
    soo true.....I love "Drunken Lullibies"!
    catalyst329
    Tts a solid album but what makes it worse than all the other FM albums is that it lacks alot of the energy that the first three had.
    salton4
    im listening to it right now, and have to say it is an awsome album. i disagree with this review, epsically calling it a 'recycled' sound. overall everything is great, and i really like the sound. i would have to say that it is a great follow up to the last album. im still quite confused on my thoughts of 'punch drunk grinning soul' as well as 'us of lesser gods'. But, as i listen to them a second time, they have grown on me already, not that theyre bad songs in any way, just maybe lacking a bit of excitment that the previous five songs. if anything i think it is more the less for me the order that is whats making it weird for these songs. traditionally i think that that punch drunk... should be more towards the end, perhaps after 'between a man...'. either way, as i said before, im sure those twpo will grow on me by the end of the day. overall awsome album, 9/10 right now, probablyll say 10/10 by the third time i listen to it!
    daytripper75
    honestly, this album has really grown on me over the last few months. at first i was a little disappointed, but now i really love this album. it still isn't as good as their other albums, but i think it is damn close.