Speed Of Darkness review by Flogging Molly

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: May 31, 2011
  • Sound: 10
  • Lyrics: 9
  • Overall Impression: 9
  • Reviewer's score: 9.3 Superb
  • Users' score: 6 (3 votes)
Flogging Molly: Speed Of Darkness
0

Sound — 10
As always the sound is awesome. The violin player, Bridgit, was pregnent and now she's not so I suspect she had a boy. Probably naming him Oliver because one song is titled "Oliver boy(all of our boys)" The sound is fist pumping jumping like usual But the songs are getting a little bit slower and shorter and not as much screaming:)

Lyrics — 9
Lyrics are awesome as always. All of the lyrics flow with the music. In the song "Revolution" at the beginning David King pauses after each line he sings. And after the fifth time hearing it know whats comming after he sings! David King's skills are still pretty awesome in this one as all the other ones.

Overall Impression — 9
I love all the songs on this but my favorite is "Don't shut 'em down" and "Oliver boy(all of our boys)" But what I hate about it is all of the sad slow songs. Probably half of them are sad and slow. And there's only twelve songs on there. If it were lost and it wasn't on itunes I would definatly buy it again for my dad's sake!

37 comments sorted by best / new / date

    DanTheHobbit
    Major copy issues: "The violin player, Bridget, was pregnant and apparently named her child Oliver because one song is titled 'Oliver Boy (All Of Our Boys).'" "The sound is fist-pumping and jumping [?] as usual, but the songs are getting a little bit slower and shorter, and there isn't as much screaming." "At the beginning of 'Revolution,' David King pauses after each line he sings." "And after the fifth time hearing it, the listener [?] knows what's coming after he sings!" "King's skills are pretty awesome in this one as in all their other albums." "I love all the songs on this, but my favorites are 'Don't Shut 'Em Down' and 'Oliver Boy (All Of Our Boys).'" "And there are only twelve songs." "If it were lost and not on iTunes, I would definitely buy it again for my dad's sake!" Phew. I like Flogging Molly. Seeing them would suit my interests. Since I'm spending time abroad and still somewhat of a Luddite when it comes to downloading, I'm refraining from picking it up on iTunes. Then again, you don't need to be Muhammad Ali to know when someone's a horrible boxer. This review tells me little about their latest album. Where are the specifics? Even if I look beyond the glaring typographical errors, I am unable to find much of substance. What makes the sound awesome? When are the lyrics awesome? Why would you buy it again? Is this the quality of writing it takes to make the daily front page?
    Loki_37
    Poor kid Why doesn't someone else write a review? I'm going to have to torrent this now...
    Nick Curleo
    I was going to write a review for this album, but didn't because I had no idea what I was going to say. I've listened to it over and over and am still unable to come up with anything. Looking at this though, I really think I should have given it a shot. Maybe if I had, this "review" would never have existed... I'm so sorry! I didn't know what would happen!
    spencer6666
    wow 9.3/10 this guy obviously has never heard classic molly this album and float suck
    b.ladwig
    I think probably the most hilarious thing i ever read in a review is the "I love all songs, but i hate the slow ones, which is about half of them"-part
    sergiozaciu
    let the kid have his moment of fame guys! wouldn't you have shit your pants if something you posted on the internet got featured, regardless of how shitty it is?
    ManInTheBox14
    maximumride wrote: Ohh well then if you thing that you should try living with my mother and P.S. I just forgot what i was going to type
    Not quite sure how that pertains, but okay.
    Vrstone87
    I've been a Flogging Molly fan for a long time, but every time I've tried to sit down and listen to this album I just get bored. The energy from their previous album has faded with this release, seems like it started with Float and this album proved that the energy is gone to me. Might be that Dave isn't handling the yelling as well anymore, but the memories of their live shows will always go down as the best live shows I've seen....next to Frank Turner.
    ShevanelFlip
    ManInTheBox14 wrote: Listen kid, if you're 11 years old, you really shouldn't even be trying to write a serious review. I highly doubt that you've ever taken a journalism class, as is evidence by your writing and your age. All you're gonna get out of it is hell. In addition, your last post doesn't really help your argument, since music is, frankly, music, regardless of the listener's age. Do these for your own entertainment in your spare time, or whatever, and try this again once you really know what to do. And you don't need a person to check it, all you need is Microsoft Word.
    Stop giving the kid shit and blame UG who puted that there. They could have not publushed but they did. this kid is eleven and is interested in writing and msuic and youre giving him shit for that, youre lame. and yeah my gramma sux get over it. enlish is not my mother tongue.
    Funk Monk
    ManInTheBox14 wrote: Listen kid, if you're 11 years old, you really shouldn't even be trying to write a serious review. I highly doubt that you've ever taken a journalism class, as is evidence by your writing and your age. All you're gonna get out of it is hell. In addition, your last post doesn't really help your argument, since music is, frankly, music, regardless of the listener's age. Do these for your own entertainment in your spare time, or whatever, and try this again once you really know what to do. And you don't need a person to check it, all you need is Microsoft Word.
    I challenge you to find any 11 year old kid that has taken journalism and knows his way around microsoft office. When you do, make sure you remind yourself just how douchey you are.
    millarso
    sergiozaciu wrote: let the kid have his moment of fame guys! wouldn't you have shit your pants if something you posted on the internet got featured, regardless of how shitty it is?
    Well, the people who do get features usually do it by putting time, research, and effort into their review. I know he is just a kid, but kids need to understand that maturity comes with age. You can't put every single thing up that a kid wrote just out of sympathy. It's not helpful in the least to the community and it's just plain unprofessional.
    sergiozaciu
    millarso wrote: Well, the people who do get features usually do it by putting time, research, and effort into their review. I know he is just a kid, but kids need to understand that maturity comes with age. You can't put every single thing up that a kid wrote just out of sympathy. It's not helpful in the least to the community and it's just plain unprofessional.
    thats all good and fine, I agree, it shouldn't be featured, but its not like the kid asked for it. He probably listened to the album, he liked it and wanted to say his opinion. UG messed up by putting him on the front page, if anyone is to blame, its them. The kid was probably really happy when he saw his review on the main page, and cus of all the douchey comments telling him he needs to first "take a journalism class", he may never write a review again, which is a shame, cus if he starts writing now, he might be amazing in 6 years. All I'm saying is, dont hate on the kid. Hate on UG, the kid's done nothing wrong, despite how bad the review was.
    Bozjoarmstrong
    It's good that the kid is taking an interest in writing about music and all that, but it is just plain unprofessional for UG to feature it, or even accept it. UG should send it back to him with a list of reasons why it sucks and he'll improve as a writer, don't let him think this is acceptable. Also, everyone seems to be forgetting the reason any of us are on this page; decent album.
    danceandpretend
    maximumride wrote: If you peeps really don't like this i bet all of you 10 bucks that you can't write it from an elenev year old's point of view!
    That's right, I cannot because I am not eleven and frankly I don't care about an eleven year old's point of view.
    EpiExplorer
    asator wrote: I thought you had to be 13 to sign up for UG?
    I think thats in the T's and C's (terms and condistions).
    BK202
    U guize jus dont understand the punk of tooday! This revue is the bomb.
    asylumite013
    Take the time to run a grammar check on Word- it goes a long way. Additionally, and more importantly, this was too much of a review, not a critique. It's like you're reviewing a box of cereal and you open it up and tell us the colour of he cereal and that it tasted good. What is 'good'? Is 'good' salty or crunchy or sweet or sour? Saying that YOU would buy it for YOUR DAD's sake or that YOU like Flogging Molly because they suit YOUR interest doesn't do much for the average ready who doesn't know your particular preferences :/
    Panasonic3
    EpiExplorer wrote: This was.. 7 sentences. I dont even need to compete, it seems.
    yeah one of yesterday's reviews was only 11 sentences. i wonder if the publishers/editors read these comments or consider user feedback.
    maximumride
    listen peeps i'm only eleven and no one was home when i wrote it!!! soo i couldn't ask anyone to check it!!
    maximumride
    If you peeps really don't like this i bet all of you 10 bucks that you can't write it from an elenev year old's point of view!
    ManInTheBox14
    Listen kid, if you're 11 years old, you really shouldn't even be trying to write a serious review. I highly doubt that you've ever taken a journalism class, as is evidence by your writing and your age. All you're gonna get out of it is hell. In addition, your last post doesn't really help your argument, since music is, frankly, music, regardless of the listener's age. Do these for your own entertainment in your spare time, or whatever, and try this again once you really know what to do. And you don't need a person to check it, all you need is Microsoft Word.
    maximumride
    Ohh well then if you thing that you should try living with my mother and P.S. I just forgot what i was going to type
    siahjo
    I have many issues, but I'll just post one: "Oliver BOy" is about Oliver Cromwell, who pretty much committed genocide on the Irish people, and is also comparing his actions to the current war in Iraq. Do research, boyo.