Swagger Review

Flogging Molly: Swagger
Released: March 7, 2000
Genre: Rock
Styles: Indie Rock, Punk Revival, Traditional Irish Folk
Flogging Molly's hybrid of street punk and pub-rock is a ruckus of punch-drunk energy.
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Swagger Reviewed by: LedZeppelin, on june 21, 2004

Sound: The sound is a strange mix of scottish folk music, blues, and punk. A soft mandolin could be used to accompany a distortion-laced guitar riff with screaming vocals. The sound is a great break from the average rock, with a great mix of musical styles that somehow strangely works. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are fantastic and clever in many cases - in the first song, Salty Dogs, the singer screams "You're smellin' like a salty dog, back from hell where you belong." The softer songs have excellent lyrics as well. The singer is clearly irish and has a great punk singing voice as well as a soft, melodic one when the music necessitates it. // 10

Overall Impression: I've only heared one song from their other album, Drunken Lullabies - and so far, I like this CD better. My favorite songs are Salty Dog, Selfish Man, The Worst Day Since Yesterday, Every Dog Has Its Day, Black Friday Rule, Devil's Dance Floor, and Far Away Boys. I love the sound and the singer, but I think the band could do without the accordion, which can sometimes ruin a song. If it were stolen or lost, I'd definitely buy it again. It's worth your money - it's in -between punk, rock, and irish folk music - which may sound like a strange mix, and while it is, it's awesome. // 10

Comments