Lungs Review

artist: Florence + The Machine date: 08/04/2010 category: compact discs
Florence + The Machine: Lungs
Released: Jul 6, 2009
Genre: Indie pop, indie rock, baroque pop, art rock, soul
Label: Island
 8.9
 7.8
review (1) 16 comments vote for this album:
Lungs Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 04, 2010

Sound: Florence Welch proves on the album that she has amazing, unique talent. Her style s truly original and her songwriting skills are amazing. I honestly couldn't think of anyone to compare her to. She has shown real talent in her work and though it wasn't originally meant to be on the album, Kiss With A Fist shows an almost pop style in a way that still keeps her originality and is perfect, depsite the debate about its subject. // 10

Lyrics: Some of her lyrics are just amazing. In Cosmic Love (track 9) one of her lyrics says 'I took the stars from our eyes and then I made a map/ I knew that somehow I could find my way back/' However, on the 2-disc edition of the album (which I have, available from the Florence + The Machine website or Amazon.com) is my favourit elyrics ever (track 5, disc 2, Hardest Of Hearts'): 'Tenderest touch leaves the darkest of marks and the kindest of kisses break the hardest of hearts' She has amazing talent for writing and has written some beautiful songs on the album. Girl With One Eye wasn't actually written by Welch. A band she used to know called The Ludes wrote it and she has covered it on the album. On the 2-disc version there is also a Bayou Percussion version in which Ladonna Harley-Peters and Victoria Akintola provide backing vocals (they also feature on the one-disc version on backing vocals in Drumming Song and Between Two Lungs). Despite being extremely dark, it is also fantastic and shows Welch's vocals well. Bird Song (fron the 2-disc version) isn't to be taken literally. I interpreted the lyrics to be perhaps a little about blackmail, but also about feeling exposed, like she thinks the bird is singing about her and things she doesn't want people to know. The Bird Song Intro is also excellent. It lasts about 1min 21seconds and has no vocals, but is written by Florence's guitarist, Robert Ackroyd. It features only her backing band and is a fantastic representation of The Machine. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my single favourite album ever. I was given the standard editon for Christmas and later bought the 2-disc version from the website. My favourite songs off disc 1 are 'Cosmic Love', 'Howl', 'Blinding' and 'Kiss With A Fist'. Off disc 2 my favourite are: 'Hardest Of Hearts' and 'Bird Song' In comparison with other albums: Made Of Bricks, Kate Nash: While Nash is extremely talented, her songwriting skills could be improved and you do notice that her lyrics don't always fit around her music as neatly as Welch's lyrics do. Birds, though one of the better songs off the Made Of Bricks album, isn't very well complied with each. Do you Want The Truth Or Something Beautiful, Paloma Faith: I liked the artwork for both of these albums, however musically I think Lungs is still the best. Lyrically the better songwriter is Florence Welch and Welch also has a stronger voice. However, both albums are good but there are more songs on Lungs that i would rather listen to. I look forward to seeing what comes next from Florence + The Machine , having heard the debut album. // 10

Comments