Flyleaf review by Flyleaf

• Released: Oct 4, 2005
Flyleaf: Flyleaf

This band's sound is a lot like other bands that you hear these days with some twists. Most of the guitar is just a bunch of power chords, but hey, that's all you need for a good song. Some messages are complex in music, others simple. I especially on "Sorrow" when one of the guitarists uses a violin bow instead of a pick. The vocals are really the main focus of the song. The band kicks it off with the aggressive "I'm So Sick", and half an hour later closes it with some guitar feedback on "So I Thought". Every song on the album is worth listening to.

Lacey Mosley's vocals are amazing and even ethereal on the album. She's also a great screamer, but her scream isn't something you hear a whole lot of. But at times she sounds whiny and annoying, like at the beginning of "Sorrow" or on a lot of the acoustic versions. Overall, pretty good. The lyrics manage to communicate a plethora of emotions throughout the album. One second she's talking about suicide ("Cassie"), then she's singing about her past drug addiction ("Perfect", "I'm Sorry"), then about a really nice guy ("All Around Me", "Red Sam", "So I Thought"), then just plain positive messages ("Fully Alive"). If her career doesn't work anymore in singing, she could be a very successful songwriter.

This album isn't much like anything else you can buy today. You discover something new in the lyrics every time you listen to it, and when the album ends a short thirty minutes after you started it, you want it to keep going. "Breathe Today" and "Cassie" are my favorite songs on the album, even with "I'm So Sick" at the beginning. I've ripped it to my computer already, but I'd still buy another copy if it were stolen or lost.

ravenouscabbage
    the first flyleaf song i heard was "all around me" and i was kinda confused at weather i liked them or not. but then when i heard "im so sick" and "cassie" i knew that they were freakin' awesome!
    CuteWithout"E"
    I was very interesting in "Flyleaf" since I've just heard about their existence... In the web I searched for some rock or metal band with the female singer... At one of the music-guide "Flyleaf" was characterized as a band, who has a really good female singer with really deep and strong vocals. It also was characterized as a *mixture of Avril Lavigne and Evanescence*... I thought this band never could be interesting for me, but nevertheless I tried to listen to them... Of course, the first song I heard was their first single - "I'm So Sick".. I liked Lacey's scream and her vocals in general, liked their music, but then I wasn't be sure that this band is 'of special importance'... But I'm thakful for the fact that I decided to listen to some other of their songs and decided to watch their live videos... Now, I can say: "Flyleaf" is one of my favorite band.. I really do love their music... And it is safe to say - "Flyleaf's" live performances are realy amazing... Now I just can't listen to their studio-tracks... 'cause if you ever have a chance to visit live "Flyleaf" concert, I'm sure you'll like Lacey's vocals and music of this band much more... Sometimes their lyrics can seem strange, but only when you don't know the stories which gave the origins for their songs... And sometimes, when I listen to the one or the other "Flyleaf's" song, I regret that it couldn't be written by me... My favorite songs are 'Cassie', 'So I Thought' and 'Red Sam'.. SuneC, I agree with you, their off-album songs are really worthwhile, especially, of course, 'Penholder', 'Sleepwalker', 'Supernatural' and 'Guilty'... //One day I was asked: "How would you call "Flyleaf's" music? What is it for you?" And I answered: "It's just like an euphoria"... P.S. I'm sorry for my bad English )
    soccerxguitarxc
    Flyleaf is amazing. I swear their music has saved me in more than one way. The lyrics are awesome and full of emotion. The whole band is really cool and down to earth too. And you should definitely check out their studio tracks And whoever wrote the 6th review, you should actually listen to the songs fully and read about them before you write what theyre are about. Cassie is not about suicide its about the Columbine shooting. And All Around me, So I Thought, and Red Sam are not about a guy. Theyre about how Lacey was saved by God. Research before you act like you know what youre talking about.